Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 26,232 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
This is my first post to this board, but I've been reading lots of info in the last few days - all of you are really helpful! My parents are retiring and are looking to move to NEPA, but are struggling trying to find the right spot. They are looking to buy a home for about $160K that is out of a community. These seem to be quite hard to come by! They would like to stay south of I-84 and are currently looking in the Albrightsville, Pittstown, Moscow area, but are somewhat open beyond that. Also, they do not want to be in an area prone to flooding. Does anyone have any ideas of towns, areas that they may be able to afford? Any to avoid?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 11:30 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,080 times
Try looking on the MLS for Newfoundland and Sterling. They seem like very nice towns, south of I-84. We are now in Greentown, but it seems like mostly communities.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:13 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
Since I live in a community, after following my parents when they retired, I'm just wondering what the reasons are why people would not want to live in a community. I'm not objuecting to their decision, just curious as to what makes them think they won't like it.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 26,232 times
Thanks for the responses.

Hi I Love PA! My parents have a negative view of communities and their restrictions. They are coming from NJ where communities have tons of restrictions and negativity associated with them. Plus, we've had a family member who had a bad experience in the Pocono Ranchlands several years ago. When they first moved there, the fees were very low and there weren't any issues. Within a few years, the fees went through the roof, something happened in the community and everyone had to chip in quite a bit of money to fix it, and of course there were issues with folks who were moving into the development. When they tried to sell the house, it took them 3 years and finally sold it at a loss. Since then, my parents have had a negative view of communities. Now that they will be on a fixed income, they are worried that this will happen to them.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
HI matdam!
I can understand your concerns about costs in a private community. The community I live in has an amenity fee, and I have to say that my parents do not use any of the amenities in their older age. We recently had a member vote on the building of an 8 million dollar indoor pool/gym complex. The recreation director was very surprised when it didn't pass. She was sure it would pass from the opinions of the people she talked to. I told her that she shouldn't base her opinion on the people she talks to - those are people who already use some recration facility we already have, there are tons of retired or working folk with kids grown or in college that do not utilize anything either. These are all faces she would never know, and they would be the 'no' votes. The Hideout has been established for over 35 years and is very financial secure as a community. Most rules are good and put in place for a reason, but there are always a few that object to each individual family, depending on their lifestyles. When we have had 'special accessments', for larger costs, we have been given the option to spread them out for as long as 10 years. I can perfectly understnad wanting to avoid these fees.
I have looked on the MLS in the areas near me, but i that price range there doesn't seem to be anything appropriate for a couple retiring.
My advice, do not forget a garage attached to the home. It is a must in these parts when the winters are bad for older folks, they never have to walk on ice or snow to get to the car, or clean the ice or snow off the car! The car is relatively warm also.
When looking in Moscow, look at names such as Madisonville, Madison Township and Daleville, they are all part of Moscow or near it. I did an MLS search and aside from developments, the only options I see that are considerable are in the Scranton/Dunmore areas. You don't want to find them something that would be costing them money to fix up or have major repairs in their retirement years. They don't need a big long drive to shovel or plow in the winter either.
I think a wonderful idea for NEPA would be simple afforable senior condos. There is a real shortage of options for people who are no longer able to maintain a home in this area. On the bright side, the cost of living is good and pensions are not taxable in Pa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania