Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:07 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,550,657 times

Advertisements

There is a curfew in Milford Bourough for about a month which dictates that anyone 18 years or younger can not be on the streets of Milford from 8pm to 6am.

What does everyone think about this? I am glad I in a jurisdiction where there is no curfews.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 08:47 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,345 times
I think it's freedom being taken away by people who assume that everyone else's kid is as bad as their own. Also, I see it as appeasing a select few and it is quite selfish.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
I think it's freedom being taken away by people who assume that everyone else's kid is as bad as their own. Also, I see it as appeasing a select few and it is quite selfish.
Ecam, I agree. The select few that you mention are the ones that are complaining about the construction on the Milford post office. Construction is construction, and heaven forbid they have to deal with some noise.
Good points.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:58 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,981 times
May I ask why this curfew was set in the first place?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 AM

164 posts, read 384,879 times
I think that 8 PM is rather early ... but I have to wonder as pixie has asked ... why has this curfew been set?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:15 AM

Here it is verbatim from the Pike County Dispatch:

MILFORD BOROUGH HALLOWEEN CURFEW

Please be advised that "it shall be unlawful for boys and girls under eightteen (18) years of age to be or to remain in or on any streets, alleys parks or public places of the Borough of Milford at night after the hour of 8:00pm and until 6:00am during the period of October 1 to November 2, inclusive of each year unless said child is accompanied by parent, guardian or other person having legal custody of said child. This is an oridnance of the Borough Code of Milford Borough and will be enforced.

Gary M. Williams
Milford Borough Police Chief

Lizanne Samuelson
Milford Boough Secretary

Old 10-18-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusOnlyVoice View Post
I think that 8 PM is rather early ... but I have to wonder as pixie has asked ... why has this curfew been set?
That is a good question, but I would have to assume because of couple of people put some pressure on the local governing agency.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:25 PM

That is ridiculous! Well, at least 8 o'clock is ridiculous. If they're going to curfew (I'm assuming it's for safety purposes), why don't they at least make it 10:00? I mean, most kids allowed to stay out after dark without parents are generally of the age where 10 isn't a bad time to be home and most people are still up and about at that hour anyway, at least on weekends. So I would think it's a decent time for the kids and not too late where no one's around to prevent "crime". With that said, is it bad there crime/drug-wise or something which is causing a curfew? I mean, yeah, people get silly around halloween (hence, Mischief Night, here in NJ which is Oct. 30th) but crime basically happens randomly anyway, not one month out of a year. And for the WHOLE month?! Sounds crazy to me.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,323 times
The only thing I can think of that would cause that would be the number of people who go into Milford for trick or treating, myself included. Maybe they're trying to give the local residents a bit of a break??

I agree that the curfew probably should be an hour or two later though.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:50 PM

Ah, good point FF18. However, I could see the actual "trick or treating curfew" as 8 because who really wants to give out candy later than that? Plus, I remember as a kid, my mom would stop giving candy after that because she figured that's when the kooks come out lol (one year, we actually had some kids trying to turn our doorknob and push on the door when we wouldn't answer because we were out of candy and had just shut the porch light). Anyway...but to make a general curfew that early still seems odd. I'd do 8 for T or T and maybe 10-ish for general. But then again, who the heck am I? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania