Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:17 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
You often hear that "upscale"-reinforcing, cringe-inducing mantra of "dress to impress", but I suppose you're right that a lot do it to avoid having people who appear to come from the (black) ghetto. I find it confusing when hip hop parties preclude anyone who might dress like an old skool mc or dj. Never mind not letting people wear sneakers when they jump around to techno until noon. Whatever floats one's upscale boat, I guess.
That's a security thing. I'm friends with African-Americans, so I am by no means trying to be "racist," but many black males around my age wear unnecessarily baggy clothing. If I owned a night club and saw a few minority male youths with huge baggy pants (or ANY youth for that matter attired in such a fashion) approaching, I'd ask for a bouncer to pat them down. Ever since Columbine I also cringe whenever I see a co-worker enter our store wearing a trench coat---they definitely went out of style for a lot of people once that connotation of "trench coat = rifle hiding place" spread around. I've even heard people now refer to trench coats as "Columbine Coats." You can easily conceal a weapon in baggy jeans, hence why there are no so many dress codes at night clubs. We haven't had a mass killing rampage here in NEPA since the 1980s when George Banks killed over a dozen people. Let's keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
That's a security thing.
Now, I'm no club security expert, but a dress code seems way less effective than, say, a metal detector..

Quote:
Ever since Columbine I also cringe whenever I see a co-worker enter our store wearing a trench coat
And if it's an ex-co-worker, you should do more than cringe-- run.

Anyhow, back to Club Luna. I wish them and any local business luck, especially ones in our downtowns.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
I gotta run back downstairs and look in the paper...but I think I saw in the CV that some lady had her purse swiped at that place last night. About the whole trench coat thing, that was like 10 years ago...I think people should be over it by now that trench coats = bad. I know plenty of people who wear them and I don't think any are going to walk in a school and shoot the place up.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
I gotta run back downstairs and look in the paper...but I think I saw in the CV that some lady had her purse swiped at that place last night. About the whole trench coat thing, that was like 10 years ago...I think people should be over it by now that trench coats = bad. I know plenty of people who wear them and I don't think any are going to walk in a school and shoot the place up.
Yup... Police report several New Year’s incidents | News | citizensvoice.com | The Citizens' Voice (http://www.citizensvoice.com/articles/2009/01/02/news/wb_voice.20090102.t.pg3.cv02cdpolice_s1.2201403_lo c.txt - broken link)

"On New Year’s Day just after midnight, Jessica Reichard, 25, told police someone stole her purse at Luna Night Club on South Main Street. Jay Carroll said he was punched by a male at Rodano’s on Public Square."

Ummm, yea that sounds like a place I want to go check out....NOT!!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Yup... Police report several New Year’s incidents | News | citizensvoice.com | The Citizens' Voice (http://www.citizensvoice.com/articles/2009/01/02/news/wb_voice.20090102.t.pg3.cv02cdpolice_s1.2201403_lo c.txt - broken link)

"On New Year’s Day just after midnight, Jessica Reichard, 25, told police someone stole her purse at Luna Night Club on South Main Street. Jay Carroll said he was punched by a male at Rodano’s on Public Square."

Ummm, yea that sounds like a place I want to go check out....NOT!!
These things happen at rawdy New Years party's. I'm sure they probably had similar things happening throughout NEPA. I've been to Rodano's and it is a nice, decent place. I'm sure the same can be said about Luna. It's just too many people+too much heavy drinking+New Years usually= someone getting punched in the face. Especially being that one of the people was Jay Carroll. I could see why someone with one to many drinks in them would punch him in the face. I'm very, very sure this is not typical of a night out at Rodano's. Not from what I've seen anyway.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
Haha, I know him too....

Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 PM

Why does that name sound so familiar?! I know of a bunch of Carrolls here in the Pittston 'burbs, actually. I wonder if he's a relation.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Why does that name sound so familiar?! I know of a bunch of Carrolls here in the Pittston 'burbs, actually. I wonder if he's a relation.
It sounds familiar to me too....are they talking about Jay McCarroll, the winner of Project Runway Season 1 who is from the area? Or was it an inside joke that I totally missed out on? lol.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
It sounds familiar to me too....are they talking about Jay McCarroll, the winner of Project Runway Season 1 who is from the area? Or was it an inside joke that I totally missed out on? lol.
I was thinking of him too. He's from the Back Mountain.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of him too. He's from the Back Mountain.
Yes, I know His parents are clients of ours....very nice people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania