Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:08 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times

Advertisements

There will be a news conference today at 1:30 pm on the results of the corruption investigation into the Luzerne County courthouse. This has been a very long time coming. People in Luzerne County have lost complete hope and faith in our county government, and justice system. As embarrassing, and shameful as this is, I pray it will be the beginning of a new era of good, honest government, the way our forefathers envisioned it to be. The citizens of this county have been abused by our so called "leaders" for generations, and finally there may be a light at the end of this long tunnel. I hope the hammer of justice comes down very hard on these weasles!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of 1:30 PM. I hope this press conference is covered LIVE by at least one local news network, and I also hope that this will be one hell of a large, sweeping "shakedown" of sorts. Living in Luzerne County is an utter EMBARRASSMENT anymore (why do you think I tell everyone I live in "the suburbs of Scranton?!)

Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of 1:30 PM. I hope this press conference is covered LIVE by at least one local news network, and I also hope that this will be one hell of a large, sweeping "shakedown" of sorts. Living in Luzerne County is an utter EMBARRASSMENT anymore (why do you think I tell everyone I live in "the suburbs of Scranton?!)
You can claim to be from the suburbs of Scranton all you want to, but the fact remains that you live in Luzerne County, and your taxes go to corrupt Luzerne County government. You are a Luzerne County resident, just like me. You should be much more concerned about what is happening in our own back yard, then worrying about what is happening in Scranton, which isn't even in our county.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I thought I had heard that WILK-AM radio was going to cover the press conference live. I hope this helps!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:10 PM

127 posts, read 290,310 times
It's about time this has happened.

Ciavarella has been under the watchful eye of many for years because of his misdeeds. He has repeatedly sent children to the two juvenile facilities for his own financial gain. Granted some of these juveniles deserved to be there, not all of them did.

Funny though, I remember about 2yrs ago there was a boy, dragged out of school and placed in front of him and remanded to the juvenile facility. The boy was a student at WVW Middle School at the time. The mother was not notified of what had taken place until afterwards. The boy was also in the court without representation/legal counsel. The boy apparently witnessed a student with a knife, off of school property, and after school hours. The kid with the knife had a court hearing and this boy didn't show up (was just told to attend by an officer and not given any paperwork, parent(s) not notified of any court date to ensure his presence). Long story short, the boy taken from the school and remanded got out about a week later. Ciavarella was probably given a lecture that he ignored.

I am sure that they will be following through with the others involved - the owner of PA Childcare both in Pittston and in Western, Pa and Frank Vita who did the psych evals (also Conahan's brother in law).

I still can't believe that these two ex-judges were able to walk out of the Courthouse freely and not remanded themselves right away as they have done to others.

So we now have three judges no longer in the Courthouse, layoffs were high and some forced into early retirement. Who is really minding the store?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,503 times
What a mess. This is what government gets away with. I don't trust any of em.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:34 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,457 times
Is the almighty dollar worth your integrity. These guys aren't young. Didn't life teach them anything ?? Its mind boggling to me. I'd be mortified if I got caught stealing a pack of gum !!

Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
So once the parents of these juveniles who were wrongly admitted into the PA Child Care juvenile detention facility in Pittston Township start filing massive law suits against Luzerne County, who will be footing the tab for these settlements? I'm GLAD I'll be moving into Lackawanna County next year!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:04 AM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times
Default Judges

What in the world is going on with Luzerne County these days? I've lived all over the world and now live in luzerne county and I've never seen corruption this bad. It seems like everyday I see something in the paper or online about the county commissioners or others in county government that are getting into trouble, whether it's from debt card fraud, judges taking money, or officials getting arrested for DUI's. Anyone care to shed light on this issue?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
What makes me wonder is why these Luzerne County judges are being singled out. I agree with them being indicted, but they are far from the only politicians taking kickbacks, especially in NE PA. I would think the feds would have a field day if they investigated Scranton city hall and Lackawanna County government. But what (or who) is keeping them away? Why do certain politicians get arrested, while others are left alone to continue to rip off the taxpayers to make themselves and their cronies rich?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania