Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

I recently joined a new group on Facebook dedicated to spreading awareness of the impending closure of the 129-year-old Scranton State School for the Deaf, which is the only specialized school equipped to cater to the needs of the deaf and hearing-impaired in not only Greater Scranton but also the entire eastern 2/3 of Pennsylvania (the next nearest state school is in Pittsburgh). Thus far this group has already amassed nearly 6,400 members, and I'd just like to invite others on this forum who have Facebook accounts (the majority of us do it seems) to join this group as well.

Login | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=15702908&v=photos&viewas=60401286#/group.php?gid=65174331065 - broken link)

The school's students and allies recently held a very vocal rally around the campus to oppose Governor Rendell's incomprehensible decision to cut off funding to a special place that means so many things for so many children and their families. With how much bloated "pork" is floating around in the state budget, do you honestly mean to tell me that the best place to make cuts was in education? A state that fails to invest in its youth is a state that won't survive in the long-term. Considering Pennsylvania is already the second-grayest state in the nation (and considering NEPA is a revolving door of exporting youths while importing retirees from NJ/NY), it would behoove Governor Rendell to do anything and everything in his ability to promote the interests of our youth instead of slamming them against a brick wall in the name of "balancing the budget."

Here's some videos of the recent rally:

YouTube - Rally held to support Scranton deaf school - timesleader.com

YouTube - Scranton State School for the Deaf rally 2/28/2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I'm now #3135 on the official petition to save this important community asset! Please, everyone with an interest in preserving the SSSD sign this!

SSSD - SOS - Signatures

Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
I'll join that too. I can't believe that they would even consider closing this. The students there can be in an environment where they are understood and have teachers that truly care about them. I really have always hated Rendell because of his policies and this is just one of them. I'm sure that if he had a son or daughter who was deaf or had some other disability, he would be singing a different tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania