Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see survelance cameras in your city?
Yes, I would like to see them, and believe they would curtail crime. 15 57.69%
No, it is to intrusive, and I don't think it will curtail crime 7 26.92%
No, Our city/town doesn't have a major crime problem, and has no need for this. 1 3.85%
I'll wait and see what happens in Wilkes-Barre, before making a decision 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times

Advertisements

What do you think? I like it as long as it is only used to combat crime. I do not like the idea of using them to catch traffic light violations, and as far as I know, they will not be used this way. Wilkes-Barre has long suffered from a bad reputation as being crime and drug ridden, and this negatively effects everything from people not wanting to visit the city to famileis not wanting to move here. I think this bad reputation is the single, biggest problem standing in the city's path to progress. I also feel that the city has been making some real strides in combating the crime problem in recent years: more police, more patrols in the downtown, a better lit up downtown with new buisnessess ect, a crackdown on absentee slumlords, code enforcement ect., and the statistics show that it has been working. Crime in general has been on the decline here in The Diamond City for a few years now, and I believe the survelance cameras and one more big tool in the war on drugs and crime... granted they are used solely for that reason, I believe it will be a positive thing for this city, which has long suffered the black eye of crime. What do you think? Would you like to see this in your city?or do you think it is to intrusive "big brother" like? Do you think it will have a major impact on crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
On one hand, I don't mind them in public places, but I'm not so sure I'd want them in my neighborhood. I don't like the idea that someone could snoop on me and my family in our yard through a camera.

Scranton has cameras in some places, and it hasn't affected crime. If anything, there seems to be more crime since the cameras went in.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
i'm against it. all it takes is a subpoena from a judge to release those tapes for a civil matter. you have the right to privacy. its bad enough you could pull up google earth and see what was in your neighbors back yard when the photo was taken...

its too much.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
i'm against it. all it takes is a subpoena from a judge to release those tapes for a civil matter. you have the right to privacy. its bad enough you could pull up google earth and see what was in your neighbors back yard when the photo was taken...

its too much.
I agree, freedoms being eroded in the name of safety one by one. Not a path I want to be on.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Yeah, I'm sort of torn on the issue. I can see this technology being used in the wrong way, but on the other hand, Wilkes-Barre and it's reputation has suffered for a long time because of crime. I can only speak for my city, but we have to do something to keep the crime down, or people will not want to visit here or move here. I think that if this is used properly, it will have an impact on crime, and out of town drug dealers and thugs may want to think twice before setting up a drug house in W-B. They would hopefully aviod W-B because of the survelance, and choose to settle somewhere else that doesn't have a survelance system. That is my hope anyway.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
On one hand, I don't mind them in public places, but I'm not so sure I'd want them in my neighborhood. I don't like the idea that someone could snoop on me and my family in our yard through a camera.

Scranton has cameras in some places, and it hasn't affected crime. If anything, there seems to be more crime since the cameras went in.
W-b also has limited cameras right now in the downtown, but this would be different. This would be throughout the entire city, and concentrated in the bad/high crime neighborhoods (like in and around the Luzerne County courthouse). I guess we really will not know what to expect until they are up and running for a few years. I'm willing to give them a chance.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 AM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times
While i Dont believe W-B has crime that warrants security cameras... its just too great of a precautionary measure to not implement.

I dont think W-B City really cares about your personal life, they just want to keep peoples homes, automobiles, business from being robbed or vandalized.

Great Idea with the Cameras.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 PM

80 posts, read 258,336 times
If it makes you safe or feel safe it's a good thing.
If it makes the bad guys behave a little better that's a good thing too.
But if they still misbehave, we may be able to identify them and throw them in the Slammer!
If you are doing nothing wrong what's the problem with someone watching you?
Don't we all go thru life with someone watching our every move from above anyway?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olbluesguy View Post
If it makes you safe or feel safe it's a good thing.
If it makes the bad guys behave a little better that's a good thing too.
But if they still misbehave, we may be able to identify them and throw them in the Slammer!
If you are doing nothing wrong what's the problem with someone watching you?
Don't we all go thru life with someone watching our every move from above anyway?

good response!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM

127 posts, read 290,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post

If Scranton actually had the cameras 'working' it wouldn't be that bad.

Not sure how much it would curtail crime in WB. Crime in WB isn't going to stop because they are installing cameras. The drug dealers would find an alley that is not being monitored to sell their wares.

Will it make WB any safer? Probably a little. It might also give the standard JQP a false sense of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania