Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
147 posts, read 489,570 times

Advertisements

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I tried finding this info online and didn't do so good...

I need a link to Pennsylvania "law", "code" whatever official writing that talks about carbon monoxide detectors. Where in the house, how many, what kind and if it is just suggested/recommmended or needed. When we built in 1999 it was not mandated and apparently it is now(??) but is up for interpretation??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,559,601 times
The way I understand it, and I am open to correction is this: I beieve there is no offiicial code for carbon monxide detectors, which means it is up to the homeowner. They are usually put in areas where the washing machine/dryer are, boiler, etc. Some people, and we did even put it on the upper floors where the bedrooms are located, but you do not have to. I will try to find you a web site. Blue

Old 07-26-2009, 11:49 AM

Morton mandates carbon monoxide detectors - The Delaware County Daily Times : Serving Delaware County, PA(DelcoTimes.com)

I stand to be corrected, it looks like certain areas have ordiances on detectors. Very interesting!!! I would call the township and find out if they have any special ordiances that require them. The laws change so fast.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Fact Sheet : Environmental Investigations : NYC DOHMH

Here is a good web site that you may find helpful.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:32 PM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
Thank you so much. I will be calling the township 7 AM!

Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 PM

Also, if you or anyone else happens to find...is it strictly a township decision...meaning there is no county, state or federal mandates that could override the township if our township doesn't mndate it?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:05 PM

Winebrat, What township or muncipality are you located in???

Old 07-26-2009, 02:35 PM

Jackson Township, Monroe County

Old 07-26-2009, 04:05 PM

Pa. fire chief pushes for CO legislation

Hi Winebrat, I tried to find out if they were required in Jackson Township and was unable to find out anything concrete. I did find an interesting article, whereby the Chief of F.D. Hazelton did lose friends back in 2008. Apparently, they were trying to fix up a home and never smelled the odorless fumes. He did petition Harrisburg for leigislation.

Actually the topic is a great post. Having one saves lives!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
Not aware of any laws but apparently there are, cabon monoxide is created when things burn. If your house is all electric you don't need one. When inhaled it attaches itself to the hemoglobin preventing oxygen. You basically suffocate to death. Symptoms are usually flu like and you can be overcome by this quite fast. At that point it's usually too late. There really isn't a whole lot that emergency medical people can do even if they are on the scene.

It's odorless, tasteless and colorless. It has a specific gravity almost the exact same thing as air so it can easily migrate through a house via the natural air currents in a house. Between the two you could easily become a victim an never even know it.

I'd place on near your furnace if it'a coal/gas/oil/wood etc. Place additional ones near wherever you would expect air to naturally flow such as a hallway going upstairs.

The best thing is prevention, be sure you properly vent and maintain your furnace/chimney etc. This can be a problem with coal heat especially. It happens but never should. When you burn coal it creates fly ash and this fly ash will eventually block the flue pipe if left unchecked. How often you need to clean this out varies by stove but anywhere from a 1 month to a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania