Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:47 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is the fundamental problem nationwide, the war on drugs has been escalating since the 70's? The result is more profits for the people peddling them making it very lucrative and more than enough people are willing to take that risk. Those that do get caught are filling out jails and may not be there otherwise except for the drugs being illegal.

I get a good laugh when they have one of these press conferences with recent ring of dealers they took out because there is some other guy cheering for it as well because they took out the competition.

The only plausible solution as I see it is legalization, it will most definitely remove much of the crime associated with it particularly the violence and crime perpetrated by addicts. The effects on the violence associated with the dealers may not be so dramatic as they may move onto something else but truthfully I cannot think of anything as lucrative and easy as the drug trade.

The downside is we're making some highly addictive drugs quite readily available.

The money used to house these criminals and addicts can be redirected towards treatment for addicts which I honestly think is money very well spent compared to housing them in jail. A lot of these people go to jail and come out worse, it's nothing more than criminal college for a lot of them.
I agree. The government can even make money by taxing drugs--use a sliding scale with higher taxes for more addictive and dangerous drugs. Just think of all the money that could be made off all those pot heads out there. That money could go towards treatment and enforcement. Yet the drugs would be safer and better quality--and relatively cheaper--so users wouldn't seek illegal sources.

Something like:
A Most drugs legalized and taxed (Marijuana, Cocaine, Ecstasy, LSD, Mushrooms, etc)
B Most other drugs decriminalized in small possessions-civil offenses with steep fines (Meth?)
C Maybe keep some criminalized (PCP, etc)

(Also, tax evasion on sales of A, dealing A without a license, or large possessions of B would still be criminal. Maybe category B wouldn't even be necessary.)

But this is a national solution to a national problem.

As for what WB could do, I like the corporate juvenile detention center idea.

Last edited by blip; 06-04-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 03:17 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
i don't think the list of decriminalized drugs should be long, but i do think drugs like pot should be legal and taxed like cigarettes. almost every day there is a story about armed mexicans getting caught with millions of dollars worth of pot locally. if it solves nothing else it would shut down a large majority of drug trafficking and get money out of criminals hands.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,339 times
how many of you have worked with addicts???0r seen the physical results?legalizing it will not solve the problem----those without money will still commit crimes to get what they need---what about an increased and better trained police force?crime escalates in areas where police presence is minimal--thus not effective imho

Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
Remember people, there is a difference between legalization and decriminalization.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm sitting here aghast reading the Times-Leader online on this rainy day to learn that the recent bar shooting that left 38-year-old Joseph Bensen of Wilkes-Barre dead in a parking lot is the eighth homicide so far in 2009 in Wilkes-Barre and the 12th so far this year in the county! At this rate we'll have 16 murders this year in Wilkes-Barre (pop. 40,000) and 24 murders in Luzerne County (pop. 300,000). If this holds true then Wilkes-Barre's murder rate will be approximately 1 per 2,500 individuals. Just to give you guys something to chew on a bit:

New York City:
2009 Murders to Date: 138
Estimated Population: 8,300,000
2009 Murder Rate: 1 per 60,145 individuals

Minneapolis:
2009 Murders to Date: 4 (Yes, You Read That Correctly)
Estimated Population: 380,000
2009 Murder Rate: 1 per 95,000 individuals

Pittsburgh:
2009 Murders to Date: 22
Estimated Population: 310,000
2009 Murder Rate: 1 per 14,091 individuals

Get the picture thus far?

How can it can be that Wilkes-Barre, per capita, has become one of the nation's most dangerous cities? Minneapolis, Minnesota, with a population much higher than all of Luzerne County, has had a homicide, on average, just once every six weeks so far in 2009. Pittsburgh, reeling from a bloody 2008, is having a relatively safe and tame 2009. Meanwhile Wilkes-Barre and Luzerne County are on track for record homicide tallies this year. What's going on?!! What can be done to ebb this before it becomes even worse?
Ahh, yes the original post!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Ahh, yes the original post!
I was wondering why this thread was "going to pot!"

Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I was wondering why this thread was "going to pot!"
i think its often overlooked that most violence could easily be linked back to drug activity. for example, the latest alleged killed was arrested with $20,000 in pot a few years back according to the citizens' voice. now, if pot were legal would this person have entered a life of crime?

most pot smokers i know claim they have not and will not use other "harder" drugs. and the volume of marijuana busts over other drug busts shows the higher demand of pot over other drugs.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 PM

37 posts, read 42,448 times
I suppose if I suggested a baseball bat wielding neighborhood association would be out of line.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
I think that at the very least, pot should be legalized. That would:
1. Make drug dealing less lucrative, since you're removing a large percentage of their revenue.
2. Raise taxes to combat drug addiction, and maybe give the Scranton Police officers a raise.
3. Prevent pot-heads from buying pot from their neighborhood drug dealer, who will try hard to convince them to move to better drugs.

I've never seen someone kill or rob because they are in marijuana withdrawal.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM

37 posts, read 42,448 times
You people can tell it to a messageboard and I'm probably out of line, but let's gather baseball bats and start to send a message to out of town slumlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania