Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 AM

202 posts, read 567,943 times

Advertisements

with an orange circle around its neck anyone know about these snakes it was about 15 inches long and moved fast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
OH god. I would have died! I am SO afraid of snakes. We were at the Riverlands near the Power Plant in Berwick yesterday. My husband saw a snake down by the creek. Thankfully, it was right when we were leaving. He even said, "I shouldn't have told you that, should I?" LOL

A few weeks ago, we were driving home from the same place on Route 11 and there was a big black racer snake right on the highway! Blech!

I looked up what you described and came up with a ringneck snake which is harmless. Thankfully there were no pictures! LOL

Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,408 times
Most snakes in our area are totally harmless. I am still petrified of them though! The only dangerous ones we have are copperheads and rattlers. I saw a rattler last year on 402 just north of Pecks Pond. It was unmistakable.

I thought I saw a copperhead in someone's basement one time - it was a very old home. However, it was not a copperhead but a milk snake, which can look like a copperhead - but is totally harmless except for the fear factor

Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Most snakes in our area are totally harmless. I am still petrified of them though! The only dangerous ones we have are copperheads and rattlers. I saw a rattler last year on 402 just north of Pecks Pond. It was unmistakable.

I thought I saw a copperhead in someone's basement one time - it was a very old home. However, it was not a copperhead but a milk snake, which can look like a copperhead - but is totally harmless except for the fear factor

Just the fear factor by itself would give me a heart attack and kill me. Especially big ugly spiders, i would die.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,408 times
I screamed to high heaven when I saw it, handed the flashlight to the guy who was with me, and said "If you don't mind, I'll be outside!"

Spiders I can handle, mice I can handle (mice still make me scream, which is very silly because I'm NOT afraid of them, they just STARTLE me....) But snakes - NO WAY NO HOW.

My new rule is - if the house is over 40 years old, I will NOT be going into the basement.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausages View Post
with an orange circle around its neck anyone know about these snakes it was about 15 inches long and moved fast
it was probably a northern ring neck.

I don't think they are poisonous...

Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,954 times
I don't know why we need such disgusting things on the planet, they say it's to eat other bugs and what not, well if the other bugs weren't here then we wouldn't need them. Just my opinion.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM

37 posts, read 42,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I don't know why we need such disgusting things on the planet, they say it's to eat other bugs and what not, well if the other bugs weren't here then we wouldn't need them. Just my opinion.

Human arrogance. People never fail to scare the living crap out of me.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:55 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,058 times
You're probably right, Poconoproud! Ring Necks are not poisonous and are so very cute! They are not aggressive and can be gently handled without being bitten. Of course if you hurt the snake or don't support it so that it feels like it may fall, it may bite. I've never been bitten by a ringneck. The ring around the neck can be yellow, orange or even red. They color extends to their bellies too. They eat earthworms, salamanders and sadly, other snakes.

I don't quite get the fear of snakes. I think that whole Adam and Eve story gave them a very undeserved reputation. They don't 'hunt' humans or try to find us to bite - they are usually just protecting themselves when someone does get bitten. That's more than I can say for my neighbor's evil little jack russel terrier and pug. I'd rather come upon a snake in my yard than either of those dogs loose!

Info for those not afraid of snakes is here:

Ring-Necked Snake Fact Page- What's That Snake? - OPLIN

eNature: FieldGuides: Species Detail

Old 06-15-2009, 07:23 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
There were THREE my hubby saw up in NY at the lake. One under my car! One by the woods and one on the dock of the lake.
The poodle kept looking around and then dug into some leaves ( later in the day)......all of a sudden he jumped four feet off the ground ( I mean his four feet were off the ground) I think the snake hiding in the leaves, went to bite his nose........( harmless kind though anyhow)
That was the end of his snake hunts!
My daughter saw one come from under the sandbox......she didn't blink.
Me, I hate the darn things and I am so happy I didn't have to see one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania