Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 AM

10 posts, read 34,303 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post. We are in NJ, and our dream is to buy a small lakefront vacation home in the Pocono area, so our children (10, 7) can grow up skiing and canoeing. We have these wonderful memories from growing up in Wisconsin. We are seeking advice on safe, non-motor boat lake communities. Our dream would be a modest lakefront home that is insulated and on a public sewer. (We have friends with septic/well horror stories).
Are there lake communities known to be on public sewer/water? We are a quiet, peaceful family - do not need huge amenities. A quiet lake within 30 minutes of skiing is all we need.

Our only information right now is coming from tour books and realtors. Any information or advice here would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
WLE is on I believe. We have our own sewerage system.

d

Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeOnPier View Post
Hello, this is my first post. We are in NJ, and our dream is to buy a small lakefront vacation home in the Pocono area, so our children (10, 7) can grow up skiing and canoeing. We have these wonderful memories from growing up in Wisconsin. We are seeking advice on safe, non-motor boat lake communities. Our dream would be a modest lakefront home that is insulated and on a public sewer. (We have friends with septic/well horror stories).
Are there lake communities known to be on public sewer/water? We are a quiet, peaceful family - do not need huge amenities. A quiet lake within 30 minutes of skiing is all we need.

Our only information right now is coming from tour books and realtors. Any information or advice here would be greatly appreciated!
There are many nice, non-motor lakes in the poconos. I'll put a plug in for my fav, lake naomi which does have a limited amount of homes tied into a public sewer system.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 AM

10 posts, read 34,303 times
Thank you! That info leads me to a couple more questions: Is WLE more than one lake? Do they have motor and non-motor boat lakes? Also, with Lake Naomi - if you live there are you required then to join the Lake Naomi club or is that something different?

Some folks have scared us about the HOAs (restrictive and high cost) I guess the one really good thing about them is the security, especially if we were only there on weekends.

Has anyone heard of Newton Lake? I read online, in an VRBO site, that all homes there are on public sewer, but I have never seen a home listing there.

Thank you and please keep the advice coming!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:29 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
Favorite lake with sewer systems is Lake Hauto which has a few awesome lakefront homes for sale right now. Nestled into the woodlands it is a peaceful lake although it does allow for a motor boat or pontoon boat.......along with unpowered boats. The fees at this lake are not all that high.
It is in the town of Nesquehoning and has four beautiful beaches. Yes, always make sure you can abide by the rules, most places strictly enforce them.
Easy enough ride to ski areas up 309......

Old 09-15-2009, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 26,261 times
Quote:

Hello. We just moved to Shohola, PA and have a 7 and 10 yr old as well. We picked this area for the schools and the commute time for my husband. We LOVE the area. We are on well/sewer and have been in the past w/ no issues. I think if you want an area with public sewer/ water you may have to head more towards stroudsburgh or Allentown. They are more "developed" communities where as most of the north east Penn is small "mountain towns". Try greatschools.com to get school and surrounding area info if you haven't already. you can circle an area you are interested in and see homes in that area for sale. The Realestate web sights should give you well/ septic or public sewer/ water info. Good luck!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-15-2009 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Realtor link removed

Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,118,547 times
Arrowhead Lake - Home Page

arrowhead lakes is non-motor boat, and has sections that are central sewer. Arrowhead is actually a great community for kids, as they constantly have activities going on. They have three or four pools, tennis courts, two lakes, playgrounds...and more...

You won't find a lake community that does not have an HOA attached to it.

These are communities that are seasonly host to tourists who rent homes, so In the summer and winter you will find them a bit more crowded.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,012 times
Quote:
Thank you! That info leads me to a couple more questions: Is WLE more than one lake? Do they have motor and non-motor boat lakes? Also, with Lake Naomi - if you live there are you required then to join the Lake Naomi club or is that something different?

Some folks have scared us about the HOAs (restrictive and high cost) I guess the one really good thing about them is the security, especially if we were only there on weekends.

Has anyone heard of Newton Lake? I read online, in an VRBO site, that all homes there are on public sewer, but I have never seen a home listing there.

Thank you and please keep the advice coming!
I think you'd be required to join the club if using any of the facilities such as the lake. . . amenity fees and HOAs are going to be hard to avoid if joining a private lake community. However, the costs are significantly different in various communities. Arrowhead Lake, Towamensing Trails are two others nearby that get much interest. Big Boulder Lake also but more townhome type units than the others (I think they now have some higher end single family homes). . . .

Old 09-15-2009, 01:36 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
WLE has three lakes. The big one which you can have a boat on ; anytype ; I believe. Or two small lakes which are really fishing lakes.
d

Old 09-15-2009, 02:16 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,013 times
PCP has a few lakes and has central water and sewer ..
With central sewer your paying at least $40 a month just to have it
If your only using the house part time your own septic system would be a lot cheaper over the yrs ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania