Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 PM

15 posts, read 49,932 times

Advertisements

Hi All
My wife is due for delivery a few days after we relo to NOVA. I will be in temporary housing in the Fairfax or Reston. Can you advise of a good:

OBGYN Doctor and a good hospital (state run) - Delivery will be Cesearian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:02 PM

34 posts, read 105,005 times
Love my doctor. Dr. Gloria Ivey-Crowe of Women's Physicians of Northern Virginia. She delivers at Reston Hospital and her office is there as well. They built a new maternity wing in 2004/5 (when I had my 2nd child with her). All private rooms.

Fairfax Hospital is very big, but has excellent maternity care. I actually live right next to it, but chose to go to Reston to deliver both my kids.

www.womenphysicians.org

Old 06-12-2010, 07:24 PM

15 posts, read 49,932 times
Thanks. what are their fees like?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM

34 posts, read 105,005 times
Don't really know. Insurance paid for all of it. I just had some co-pays. It's not an overly-fancy practice or anything. Staff are all very nice, so give them a call.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
I am not aware of any state run hospitals in NOVA. Perhaps someone else has heard of them. If you qualify for Medicaid, I think you can use any hospital.
I really like Ray Wertheim at Greenbriar ob/gyn: Ray A. Wertheim, MD I don't think that they take medicaid, but you can always ask.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,283 times
My gynecologist is John Maddox, MD. He practices at INOVA Fairfax, where I agree the care at the Women and Children's Center is phenomenal. (Never gave birth there but was in for another procedure and the nursing care was outstanding). INOVA Fairfax is regularly on the list of top 50 hospitals in the U.S. and Maddox is on the Top Doctors List compiled by Washingtonian.

I believe he has a couple of offices. I see him at the one on Route 50 a/k/a Arlington Blvd in Fairfax. (703)-698-8060. More info here:

Capital Women's Care | John Maddox, M.D. (http://www.cwcare.net/provider.asp?pid=1086 - broken link)

Old 06-13-2010, 08:49 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
What kind of insurance do you have, and are you a citizen? (Most immigrants don't qualify for Medicaid unless they've been here five years or longer.)

Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,489 times
I had Dr. Ivey-Crowe as well and would NOT in a million years recommend her for anything! There were some major issues during my C-section that she should have handled differently (also, I would not recommend Reston Hospital-one of their anesthesiologists let me have my C-section with no anesthesia and didn't catch it until it was too late to do anything about it, regardless of my screams). Anyway, I had good insurance at the time and was debating what, if any action I wanted to take against the doctors and hospital. I contacted Reston hospital and they were extremely concerned, took responsibility, acknowledged the mistake and promised to take precautions to prevent this from happening to anyone else so I decided not to sue.

Two years and a week after my c-section (statute of limitations to sue in VA is 2 years), I got a bill from Dr. Ivey-Crowe for the c-section. The only thing I can think happened is that she waited to see if I would sue before presenting me with the last bill. My insurance declined to pay b/c they had not submitted it in a timely fashion and, after a few calls to the billing office, I didn't have to pay either (not my fault she didn't bill my insurance in time). All around, an awful experience I wouldn't want anyone else to go through.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:40 AM

309 posts, read 828,488 times
I have to concur with mdcrim and would not recommend her. Where I thought my prelabor checkups and monitoring of my baby was very good, the post delivery treatment was a nightmare - will spare everyone the details

Old 06-15-2010, 01:18 PM

45 posts, read 141,284 times
I have to agree w/ the last 2 posts and do not recommend Women's Physicians of NOVA.

I also wouldn't recommend Perfectly Female in Reston.

Reston Hospital is good, but I think all the ones in the area are. I had my 1st son there. Second at Loudoun. Keep searching online for a good OB in the area. Check out this site, it's local and I used it a lot when preg.
Expectant Moms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia