Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 10,064 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, I know there are a ton of these threads but I can't find any that fit my situation closely enough. I'm hoping some of you will take pity on a woman who has spent the entire 4th of July weekend online trying to find a rental apartment to no avail.

I'm looking for advice on neighborhoods and specific buildings if you've got 'em. Maybe a broker too?

The short version:
- 1 bedroom, 1 bath
- Don't care what neighborhood as long as it is safe.
- Need a pet friendly building and hardwood or tile floors.
- Flexible on everything else, including price range (but less is better)

The Details:
I recently finished my masters program and am looking for a job. DC/Arlington have the highest concentration of organizations that I would want to work for so I'm going to try to move to the area after my current lease runs out...soon.

I am a single 30 year old woman so safety is important to me. I don't mind living further away from the city and would probably enjoy a little bit of trees and grass in view. I'm looking for a nice size 1 bedroom.

Aside from that the building I live in needs to be pet friendly and not have wall-to-wall carpeting. I'm from NYC and as mentioned in another thread, rentals almost never have carpeting up here. I can't seem to find any in NoVa without carpeting.

I'm flexible on pricing because I'm pretty sure I will be there for a year or less. If I find a good job I will buy an apartment in DC/VA and if I don't, I'll move to another area of the country. Since I'm currently unemployed less is better.

Bonus items that I really don't expect but would love to have...dishwasher, washer dryer, patio/balcony, gym, and vegetarian restaurants nearby.

Side question, I keep reading about the roach infestations in DC/NoVa. Is it any worse than NYC?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:07 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Hi, sorry to hear about this difficulty and I hope someone else here will have some ideas for you. Are you sure you want to rent an apartment (and sign a contract to pay for it) before you have found a job here? It's true the job market in many fields is better here than in many other places but it's still a challenging economy.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:13 PM

Thanks for your thoughts ACWhite but I'm going to have to rent an apartment somewhere or I'll be living in a cardboard box. Any other suggestions are DEFINITELY welcome!

Old 07-04-2010, 03:42 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Peanutmonkey, you can't stay with family or friends somewhere for a few months while job searching? DC isn't as expensive as NYC, but it is much more expensive than many other parts of the country. So it's not a good place to be unemployed. That said, I do wish you the best of luck whatever and wherever you decide to do/be.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:00 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
You may want to look into renting out a condo from someone on CL. I think you'll have a better time finding wood floors that way. You're right that all the apartments in the area seem to have carpet (easier to replace if it's wrecked, I guess?)

It'd probably be easier to find something month-to-month that way, and to find someone more lenient about your lack of income. I know at the corporate place I rented from, we had to turn in pay stubs to prove we had the required income levels.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 PM

696 posts, read 1,695,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
You may want to look into renting out a condo from someone on CL. I think you'll have a better time finding wood floors that way. You're right that all the apartments in the area seem to have carpet (easier to replace if it's wrecked, I guess?)

It'd probably be easier to find something month-to-month that way, and to find someone more lenient about your lack of income. I know at the corporate place I rented from, we had to turn in pay stubs to prove we had the required income levels.
This is great advice! My husband actually did this when he first moved here (he started before the rest of the family moved here). The gal he rented from was out of the country for several months. It worked out great and his commute into town was a piece of cake!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 8,246 times
You could sign a short lease. Many apartment buildings let you sign a lease for as little as 1 month. The rent is more expensive, but it won't get you stuck in a place for a full 12 months. Also, in some of the managed properties the rates drop as the mercury drops so renting at one place for several months before finding a job and permanant place could work out to a lower 12 month lease in the second place.

For what you are looking for, I'd recommend the Crystal City/Pentagon City area or out around the Falls Church area, or Alexandria and south. Rent is generally cheaper in these areas than close in to DC places like Rossyln or many areas of DC and have more trees. NW DC around Van Ness, Cleveland Park, or Tenleytown AU could also fit the bill for you. These are nice areas that don't feel like they are in the city and are pretty safe.

By the way, on hardwood floors, the DC area may not have caught on that it can be a selling point. Someone was telling me they specifically asked to have wood floors instead of carpeting in their apartment and it lowered their rent.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
I'm sorry, I know there are a ton of these threads but I can't find any that fit my situation closely enough.
OP, you didn't mention if you have a car? That would make a difference as far as location.

Get on craigslist and see if anyone is: (1) subletting, (2) has a place with a month-to-month lease, or (3) has a room for rent. That should give you the time to look for a job, save some money, and get to know the area better.

Quote:
Side question, I keep reading about the roach infestations in DC/NoVa. Is it any worse than NYC?
Ah . . . NYC. We were renting a 2-BR place in Brooklyn in the warehouse district a few years back and got lucky with a nice place that had been recently renovated. Spacious, high ceilings, hardwood floors, no roaches (thank God), but rats hovering around the trash corrals. You'll be pleased with places down here but there are some neighborhoods that aren't suitable for a single, young woman. Just let us know what you're considering. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice. BTW, I do have a car. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do but I'm not finding much on craigslist as many of you suggested. I know that it's a good resource but my timing is probably off. I'm sure I'm competing with the college students for a late summer lease. I will keep all of your advice in mind as I continue my hunt. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia