Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 7,244 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I'm looking at a Condo in Arlington and I'm trying to figure out how the utility situation is.

I'm told that Condo fees cover everything but electricity and natural gas.

The furnace is natural gas but there is no water heater in the unit. The building was built in 2007.

Also, in this building the mechanical room is not on an exterior wall but rather a closet in the middle of the unit. I see no AC compressor and satellite images do not show individual compressors on the roof for each unit. This is a 9 floor condo building.

Since its new, I'm assuming that each unit can decide whether to run AC or Heat. However since I do not see a compressor, I'm curious how the refrigerant gets to the air handler.

I can't imagine that a building this new would not let its owners decide for themselves when to turn on heat/ac and thus have only one temperature piped throughout the building -- but is that possible?

The only good thing I can think of that is a lower electricity bill in the summer due to no individual compressor -- and greater efficiency if there is one or two cooling towers for the whole building.

Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
I would suggest contacting the Condo Homeowners Association with your questions.

Personally, I would not want anyone else being able to control the temperature in my home. I know someone who lives in a apartment where the heating/cooling is controlled universally. They have already switched over to heat and with the temps being as warm as they were last week, it wasn't pleasant for them with no way to cool the apartment.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 AM

100 posts, read 219,941 times
Agreed that you should contact the HOA about this. I also would expect the heating and air conditioning to be individually controlled in such a new building, but it's important to make sure that they are--it would be miserable to have heat piped in to your unit on a warm day!

Our building was built in the late 90s, and we control the AC and heat. Our condo fee covers water, but no other utilities.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Thanks, I will do that. I can see that other nearby buildings, all built in the last few years have hundreds of AC compressors on their roofs. This one doesn't and doesn't have the AC Compressor on the side like lots of newer rentals. As long as they pipe cold water/refrigerant all year round I wouldn't mind as the furnace is definitely gas and in the unit.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times
It may have a room in the building where all the condensing units are.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
It may have a room in the building where all the condensing units are.
Bummer, I was kind of hoping otherwise. It would be great if it was one giant cooling tower -- a lot more efficient than 150 compressors.

I'll find out soon though, the Realtor is waiting to hear back from mgmt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia