Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

Ooooo, I see an episode of Bossanova brewing. Everyone has to go visit the turkeys to make sure they get enough mental stimulation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:45 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Let's not confuse the American Wild Turkey with the Butterballs in the freezer case...they are totally different animals. Commercial turkeys are bred in corporate laboratories strictly for fast growth and other characteristics people expect on their table.

On the other hand, the American Wild Turkey is an extremely smart and agile game bird. Ben Franklin held them in such esteem that he proposed that the Wild Turkey be our national bird. No creature survives for millions of years if they drown when they look up at the rain...LOL. Of course Butterball turkeys couldn't survive in the wild, they would never have occurred in nature in the first place.

Everyone should try wild turkey at least once....it's different for sure....all dark meat (even the breasts), and much stronger flavor. There's a hunting club near me on the eastern shore that has been after a SINGLE old Tom for years! Numerous skilled hunters after one bird and they haven't got him yet.

Yep, he's a dumb ole bird alright....probably can't read.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:12 AM

509 posts, read 974,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Ooooo, I see an episode of Bossanova brewing. Everyone has to go visit the turkeys to make sure they get enough mental stimulation!
Maybe we should arrange a group visit!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:42 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I feel so guilty. I've been to Frying Pan Park so many times, and not once did I ever bring the turkey a book.
You are cracking me up! Perhaps we could start a book drive for them, along with some crossword puzzles and suduko books. Maybe a weekly math tutor and piano lessons too.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
You are cracking me up! Perhaps we could start a book drive for them, along with some crossword puzzles and suduko books. Maybe a weekly math tutor and piano lessons too.
Yes, all of us on here should have to go up there and read them a bedtime story to keep them entertained! Those poor poor bored turkeys! Saved from the dinner table only to be bored to death and face a miserable boring life!

Actually, the image of a turkey playing piano cracks me up!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Actually, the image of a turkey playing piano cracks me up!
If you give a turkey piano lessons, are you allowed to teach him "Turkey In The Straw"? Or would that be considered animal cruelty?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:39 AM

It's too bad the turkeys are only a few years old. If they were over 16 they could have a city-data account. Now that would be mentally stimulating!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
If you give a turkey piano lessons, are you allowed to teach him "Turkey In The Straw"? Or would that be considered animal cruelty?
That's too funny! I'd say borderline animal cruelty! They need mental stimulation, but not of the cruel kind!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
It's too bad the turkeys are only a few years old. If they were over 16 they could have a city-data account. Now that would be mentally stimulating!
But then we'd have to set up their own subforum for them to talk in turkey language! Although, maybe turkey years are like dog years - turkeys don't live that long do they? So in that case they already are over 16 probably!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia