Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 9,057 times

Advertisements

This is obviously a common question. I've researched the area a lot and have a few ideas. My wife and I got jobs at INOVA Fairfax recently and will be beginning this summer. I am married with no kids yet (but very soon). We actually prefer not to live in the DC metro area.

We would like to live in an area where there are more young professional couples. We will probably be renting at first since we don't know how well the jobs will work out. Thinking that $2000-3000 might be our range. We would like a commute no greater than 30-40 min if possible but I heard in DC that is hard to find. Also, diversity, restaurants would be nice.

Heard to look at these areas:
[] Falls Church, Vienna, Fairfax, Tysons Corner

(Is Arlington too far or painful of a commute to INOVA?)
(Heard not so great things about Annandale...higher crime, less desirable)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,959 times
Reston may be a good place to check out. Some great places to eat, a nice town center, not far from Fairfax, some great areas to live...

Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 9,057 times
Thanks, wasn't sure if Reston was too far out or not. It seems like a nice area though.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheChud View Post
My wife and I got jobs at INOVA Fairfax recently and will be beginning this summer.

(Heard not so great things about Annandale...higher crime, less desirable)[/quote]

If you will be working at Inova Fairfax on Gallows Rd, be careful because you are bordering on that "high crime" Annandale place.

I am a big believer in living close to work. Your price point might work for the Mantua neighborhood (in Annandale) but you would have to check some of the real estate listing websites.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:39 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
if you dont have kids and arent concerned with schools, you really ought to look at Annandale. Its quite affordable and VERY convenient to INOVA. I dont know the crime rate - my family and I have never been hassled here. Its a diverse area, and you need to be comfortable with that - in particular with the day laborers who hang out at the 7-11. No, its not the most pristine suburb, but its not like its pervaded with gangs, muggings or stuff like that.

and it has a lot of pluses, like much korean food, and the korean festival every year

Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
if you dont have kids and arent concerned with schools, you really ought to look at Annandale. Its quite affordable and VERY convenient to INOVA. I dont know the crime rate - my family and I have never been hassled here. Its a diverse area, and you need to be comfortable with that - in particular with the day laborers who hang out at the 7-11. No, its not the most pristine suburb, but its not like its pervaded with gangs, muggings or stuff like that.

and it has a lot of pluses, like much korean food, and the korean festival every year
Also, the OP might want to know that there are parts of Annandale outside the Beltway that are just as nice as nearby parts of Fairfax. Just because there are less desirable neighborhoods with Annandale mailing addresses doesn't mean that the whole CDP should be discounted.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 PM

158 posts, read 270,429 times
I lived in some outstanding apartments 10 years ago off Monument dr. Monument dr runs off rt 7100 (Fairfax County parkway). There are two competing units and they are filled with young professionals. INOVA is just 10 minutes up 7100. I wish I could remember the names of the apartment we were in but I can't recall. You won't be disappointed.

Anyone out the recalls the name of those apartments in this location?? If you do let them know.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:31 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mideast View Post

Anyone out the recalls the name of those apartments in this location?? If you do let them know.
I live off Monument Dr. in Monument Place apartments. Across the street from us is the Jefferson. There are some of complexes right next these...I just don't remember the names at the moment.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:05 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Also, the OP might want to know that there are parts of Annandale outside the Beltway that are just as nice as nearby parts of Fairfax. Just because there are less desirable neighborhoods with Annandale mailing addresses doesn't mean that the whole CDP should be discounted.

grrr!!! OP might want to know that - though OP should not be misled by that into thinking the RELATIVELY less nice parts of Annandale, are, you know, not actually nice. (BTW the historical heart of annandale is INSIDE the beltway -- the areas outside the beltway are more "annandale by mailing address only, IMO)

OP is, I see from cleveland. I dont know the cleveland suburbs. I can say that the "worst" section (not talking specific apartment complexes) which is probably the sw part, along Heritage, is like Beverly Hills (LA, not Alex) compared to most of the city of Cleveland, I think.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:37 PM

186 posts, read 488,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheChud View Post
This is obviously a common question. I've researched the area a lot and have a few ideas. My wife and I got jobs at INOVA Fairfax recently and will be beginning this summer. I am married with no kids yet (but very soon). We actually prefer not to live in the DC metro area.

We would like to live in an area where there are more young professional couples. We will probably be renting at first since we don't know how well the jobs will work out. Thinking that $2000-3000 might be our range. We would like a commute no greater than 30-40 min if possible but I heard in DC that is hard to find. Also, diversity, restaurants would be nice.

(Heard not so great things about Annandale...higher crime, less desirable)
What hours will you be working at INOVA if you are working early 7AM the commute will be easier. There are alot of areas where you can avoid the beltway ( always the goal ) and get to INOVA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia