Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 AM

648 posts, read 1,334,342 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a service or a person that helps you look for specialized rental properties?

This is my catch - my finace and I are looking to live in an apartment on someone's property or guest house. Something cottage like, west of Chantilly. I'm all Craigslisted out!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Does anyone know of a service or a person that helps you look for specialized rental properties?

This is my catch - my finace and I are looking to live in an apartment on someone's property or guest house. Something cottage like, west of Chantilly. I'm all Craigslisted out!!!

Renters Agents are virtually unheard of in the DC Metro. You can call around to different offices in your preferred 'hood to see if a buyers agent will rental shop for you, but----They don't want to talk to you if your rental budget isn't high. My experience was 4 years ago, the pros did not want to talk to me if my rent was under 2200/mos. That may have changed as the home market is soft.

Also, the MIL/Guest house thing is not here. Most homes are [URL="http://www.trulia.com/property/3039298250-2755-Marshall-St-Falls-Church-VA-22042"]one floor brick on large yards[/URL]. Shared housing, either a room in a shared home or the basement of someones single family are more popular.

There are many suggestions to find housing here. Military by Owner dot com is popular on this forum, as is trulia, but it wasn't useful for me.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Renters Agents are virtually unheard of in the DC Metro. You can call around to different offices in your preferred 'hood to see if a buyers agent will rental shop for you, but----They don't want to talk to you if your rental budget isn't high. My experience was 4 years ago, the pros did not want to talk to me if my rent was under 2200/mos. That may have changed as the home market is soft.

Also, the MIL/Guest house thing is not here. Most homes are one floor brick on large yards. Shared housing, either a room in a shared home or the basement of someones single family are more popular.

There are many suggestions to find housing here. Military by Owner dot com is popular on this forum, as is trulia, but it wasn't useful for me.
Thanks for your input!!

I should've been more clear on what I meant. There are a lot of farms west of Chantilly, and many people have apartments or guest houses on their farm. I know they exist because I've seen them and I've also seen them on Craigslist...I guess my theory was that if a few people advertise them on Craiglist, maybe there are more who don't and use an actual service.
But, there probably isn't. I'll probably just have to keep looking on Craigslist.

Thanks anyway!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:13 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,313,377 times
I have occasionally seen these types of rentals advertised in the little local papers - like the Blue Ridge Leader, Middleburg Eccentric, Purcellville Gazette, etc.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I have occasionally seen these types of rentals advertised in the little local papers - like the Blue Ridge Leader, Middleburg Eccentric, Purcellville Gazette, etc.

Thank you for the extra ideas!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:55 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,182 times
I found one on homesdatabase.com, LO7636850. It already has an application but you can call the listing agent and see if they are taking backups. The point is, they do come up from time to time. You will need to check daily, you can specify cabin or cottage, or just look at them all.

I also suggest calling the individual brokerage offices in your area of interest and asking them if they have any listings of the sort you are looking for. The listing agent will be happy to work with you because they won't have to split the commission with another agent.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I found one on homesdatabase.com, LO7636850. It already has an application but you can call the listing agent and see if they are taking backups. The point is, they do come up from time to time. You will need to check daily, you can specify cabin or cottage, or just look at them all.

I also suggest calling the individual brokerage offices in your area of interest and asking them if they have any listings of the sort you are looking for. The listing agent will be happy to work with you because they won't have to split the commission with another agent.

Thanks Margery!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia