Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:05 PM

772 posts, read 1,143,067 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a relative who is contemplating moving here. She would come in time for next school year and would be entering the 11th grade. I live in Silver Spring, and my guess is that the best fit for her in MC would be Bethesda Chevy Chase. Although a handful of MC public high schools seem to score higher on the standardized tests (e.g. Whitman and Wooton), BCC has acceptable academics and is more socioeconmically diverse. So, any suggestions? Private is not an option for them due to financial constraints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Alexandria City only has one high school--TC Williams.

Fairfax County has many others (many with an Alexandria mailing address).

Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Hello. I have a relative who is contemplating moving here. She would come in time for next school year and would be entering the 11th grade. I live in Silver Spring, and my guess is that the best fit for her in MC would be Bethesda Chevy Chase. Although a handful of MC public high schools seem to score higher on the standardized tests (e.g. Whitman and Wooton), BCC has acceptable academics and is more socioeconmically diverse. So, any suggestions? Private is not an option for them due to financial constraints.
From my personal experience at TC Williams (11th and 12th grades) and having many friends who have graduated from high schools in both faux (Fairfax County with Alexandria address) and TC Williams I would say they are very equal. They serve populations with low-income students and high immigrant numbers. They have solid educational programs but people like to badmouth them because they are not lily-white and rich enough.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info. Is there anything else close to Alexandria (i.e. I-295) that has better public high schools?

Edit: It doesn't seem like TC Williams is quite on par with BCC:

Alexandria's T.C. Williams High called poor performer

Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
There is indeed only one high school in Alexandria as mentioned. In "South Alexandria" aka the unincorporated Fairfax County section, there are two - West Potomac and Hayfield. (Thanks to pcity for a reminder in another thread about the latter. ) By NOVA standards, these schools may be "fair to middling" but you may already be aware of the general reputation of Fairfax County Public Schools.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Ok, it is starting to sound like public high schools may not be so hot in that area. Interesting because they are pretty strong in Montgomery County.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:11 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Ok, it is starting to sound like public high schools may not be so hot in that area. Interesting because they are pretty strong in Montgomery County.
Remember, you were asking about only one area, Alexandria and its nearby schools. Is the area of Montgomery County you are referring to same same economically as this or is it more like the McLean area of Fairfax or North Arlington? Be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
B-CC is like McLean HS in Fairfax, except that it has more AAs and fewer Asians. It mostly serves affluent parts of Montgomery County and has a very low percentage of ESOL students or students receiving free or subsidized meals.

In terms of diversity and test scores, TC Williams and the high schools in the Alexandria part of Fairfax look more like - and match up pretty well against - many of the schools in the Silver Spring or Gaithersburg areas of Montgomery County.

To supplement Tone509's comments, in addition to West Potomac and Hayfield, Edison and Mount Vernon are also Fairfax County high schools with Alexandria addresses. Edison is north of Hayfield, and Mount Vernon is south of Hayfield and West Potomac.

And, to respond to Alanboy395's comments, you really won't find any "lily white" high schools in Fairfax County. You will find some with low (below 5%) percentages of AA students. It's not the same thing, since the most rapidly growing populations in Fairfax are Asians and Hispanics.

Last edited by JD984; 12-08-2011 at 08:10 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Lee High school is probably more convenient for commuting purposes than many of the high schools previously mentioned (due to basically sitting on top of the mixing bowl). It's got a Springfield address, and has a similar population to the other schools already mentioned.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:13 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
How about Marshall High School in Falls Church? That might be somewhat similar to BCC. It has overall good scores and is pretty diverse (as are most schools in
this area).

ETA: Another option might be George Mason High in Falls Church City. It has a good reputation, although the boundaries for it are pretty small - must live in the City of Falls Church. You can also look in Arlington. Yorktown has a great rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia