Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Amen 1,000 times. Work expands to fill the time allotted.

In fact, since Obama has put the kibosh on COL increases for federal employees (even though SES and political appointees [all of whom make well over 100K] still get their yearly five-figure bonuses), giving us more days off would be a nice way to make up for that without costing the taxpayers a dime.

People talk about how golden the government benefits are; I was suprised after joining that they're not nearly as good as some of the benefits I had at various trade associations. I get less time off and pay more for my insurance as a fed than I did at my last job. I'm just hoping the federal retirement (FERS) makes it all worth it.
I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's so wonderful either. Certainly, CSRS was pretty good but it's gone. FERS is *something* but it probably won't be worth it.

Just wondering though--how does giving us a few days off not cost the taxpayers anything. I just took 3 hours of administrative leave today that I'm sure some taxpayer paid for!! Well, probably not in my case since my salary is not paid from the President's budget but you get my drift...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:39 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,733,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Just wondering though--how does giving us a few days off not cost the taxpayers anything. I just took 3 hours of administrative leave today that I'm sure some taxpayer paid for!!
Bite thy tongue, Judas!

What I mean is that most of us are salaried, so our pay is a fixed expense. The taxpayers are paying for the work to get done. If we get it done in less time, we're not paid less money.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times
Quote:
I just took 3 hours of administrative leave today that I'm sure some taxpayer paid for!! .
But if the same amount of work gets done, and the same exact deadlines get met whether you went in at 9 or you went in at 11, then the taxpayer gets what he paid for.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Bite thy tongue, Judas!

What I mean is that most of us are salaried, so our pay is a fixed expense. The taxpayers are paying for the work to get done. If we get it done in less time, we're not paid less money.

Got it! I am only working 5 hours today and cannot hope to achieve all my work that I would have gotten done in 8 hours but it will still get done in the end. I'm really just mad at myself for coming in late. It's the first time that I've "taken advantage" of a late arrival and I feel horribly guilty. The other times I've come in, I've been just about totally alone so I took my time today. I can't believe the number of people that pushed it right to 11:00 a.m. Kind of irritates me.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,733,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
But if the same amount of work gets done, and the same exact deadlines get met whether you went in at 9 or you went in at 11, then the taxpayer gets what he paid for.
Exactly.

Now there IS a group of federal employees who take so many vacations that they barely accomplish anything, despite being paid a ton of money. Rhymes with "songstress."

Quote:
Got it! I am only working 5 hours today and cannot hope to achieve all my work that I would have gotten done in 8 hours but it will still get done in the end. I'm really just mad at myself for coming in late. It's the first time that I've "taken advantage" of a late arrival and I feel horribly guilty. The other times I've come in, I've been just about totally alone so I took my time today. I can't believe the number of people that pushed it right to 11:00 a.m. Kind of irritates me.
See, now I feel guilty for even jokingly criticizing you. [Emoticon for "hangs head in shame."]

Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,098,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Exactly. It's about time-management, and not merely time.

One thing that is problematic with this is the inability to meet with people from other departments. Sometimes it's hard to schedule meetings in the first place and things like this delay them.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,514,738 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's so wonderful either. Certainly, CSRS was pretty good but it's gone. FERS is *something* but it probably won't be worth it.

Just wondering though--how does giving us a few days off not cost the taxpayers anything. I just took 3 hours of administrative leave today that I'm sure some taxpayer paid for!! Well, probably not in my case since my salary is not paid from the President's budget but you get my drift...
This makes up for at least one 10+ hour day I've put in and didn't submit for overtime.

Aside from admin leave, a lot of us are on unscheduled telework. I'm on TW a good chunk of the time anyway, so for me this is no big change. Frankly, I'm usually more productive when I'm out of the office and away from distractions.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
This makes up for at least one 10+ hour day I've put in and didn't submit for overtime.

Aside from admin leave, a lot of us are on unscheduled telework. I'm on TW a good chunk of the time anyway, so for me this is no big change. Frankly, I'm usually more productive when I'm out of the office and away from distractions.
Yes, there's that. I do a lot of work on my own time (30 minutes here and there) that I don't put in hours for.

I will be starting the telework thing soon. We've been barred from doing it because of our computer system but they've finally devised a way to make it happen so I will start the testing phase this week. Can't wait.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times
Speaking about meetings, one lesson learned from all this is to e-mail yourself phone numbers for any dial in meetings that you can make from home. If you have the number handy, then the next time this happens you can still dial in to the meeting from home.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,684,466 times
Quote:
...People talk about how golden the government benefits are; I was surprised after joining that they're not nearly as good as some of the benefits I had at various trade associations. I get less time off and pay more for my insurance as a fed than I did at my last job. I'm just hoping the federal retirement (FERS) makes it all worth it.

This happens every time the economy tanks. I used to have to listen to private-sector buddies brag about their company-paid golf outings to Scotland, Christmas in Cancun, etc. Now I have to listen to what a leech I am for collecting my Federal pension.

But don't worry...if/when the economy rebounds, we'll go back to being suckers for choosing a career with Uncle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia