Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times

Advertisements

A giant, scary, battle-scarred hawk staring at me through the family room window. He perched on the deck rail for a long time; my poor cat was all puffed up, growling and hissing.

Otherwise we have the usual voles, chipmunks, rabbits, etc. We have a mockingbird family nesting in the back, a mourning dove couple nesting in the front hanging basket (empty coconut fiber), and a starling couple nesting over the garage. You can see our cat is such an effective deterrent (ha). She does go outside for a limited amount of time, but the only bird she's ever had was one that the neighbor's cat caught and was carrying across our yard. My cat ran at him and startled him; he dropped the bird and she snatched it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 AM

437 posts, read 1,229,400 times
We get plenty of wild animals (foxes, hawks, snakes etc.) in the back yard but the weirdest was some fancy, exotic chicken that neither I nor the animal control guy could catch. A very colorful, feathery bird, something you might find in the zoo - definitely not indigenous to North Springfield! Most likely escaped from someone who was keeping it for cockfighting, according to the animal control guy.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:58 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
This time of year I have to be careful when I look out my window, my neighbor has a habit of wearing very baggy gym pants and an obsession with handpicking the clover..bent over...not a pretty picture. I just wish he would face his own house!

On skinks...we had some in FL..I had never since one, and the real estate agent pointed them out. I thought she said skank. I spent a couple years referring to it as skanks. Taught my 4 year old they were skanks. She loved them..told everyone we had skanks! They kept our property bug free!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,000 times
My parents live in Maryland, right outside of DC, and when I was in high school.. I ran outside (late for the bus like always), just to see a horse standing in our front yard!!! We live in a pretty standard neighborhood with a bunch of houses.. and no farms that we know of relatively close by. It was a pretty random thing to see for a half asleep teenager.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
I once found a wet, terrified cocker spaniel. He wasn't one of my neighbors dogs either. I lured him onto my porch where I gave him water and food (but he wouldn't eat). I felt bad because I couldn't keep him and had to call animal control--I figure that's part of what they are for. He had some kind of eye infection/problem and I really couldn't care for him properly (he was so scared of me). I kept and eye out for lost dog signs, but never saw anything. So I hope his owners found him by checking out the county animal shelter.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,419 times
I'll go towards the micro end of the scale here and say the strangest thing I ever saw in my yard, only once, was a hickory horned devil. I can't seem to paste in a photo of it here, but google it for an image -- it's striking.

Of course, with its brilliant blue color, the caterpillar was in total violation of the Reston Association's approved color scheme and received a summons from the RA's Design & Review Board, which is probably the reason why I only saw it that one time. The hickory horned devil turns into the regal moth, which I unfortunately never saw.

My neighbors across the street might win the prize for still life find: when they scraped the top layer of soil off their backyard to replace it, they found two cars buried there (no sign of Jimmy Hoffa, though). Apparently, theirs was the last house of the 15 all built at the same time on our cul-de-sac, and I guess the builders used their backyard as an impromptu burial ground.

Last edited by ICS67; 05-15-2012 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Reworded

Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 AM

648 posts, read 1,334,070 times
Prehistoric-sized spiders.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I once found a wet, terrified cocker spaniel. He wasn't one of my neighbors dogs either. I lured him onto my porch where I gave him water and food (but he wouldn't eat). I felt bad because I couldn't keep him and had to call animal control--I figure that's part of what they are for. He had some kind of eye infection/problem and I really couldn't care for him properly (he was so scared of me). I kept and eye out for lost dog signs, but never saw anything. So I hope his owners found him by checking out the county animal shelter.
it sounds like the owners are the last people who should be taking care of the dog

Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,470 times
In Stafford we've seen Peacocks, Bob cats, wild Turkey ( not the kind you drink) Beavers, Bald Eagles, Hawks, Bears, Foxes, and of course Deer.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
When I first moved to Vienna 11 years ago, I saw what I think was an albino squirrel. It was pretty freaky looking and scared me that there was some nuclear power plant nearby producing strange animals. But I never saw it or anything out of the ordinary again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia