Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,355 times

Advertisements

Ok, I’ve got some roof damage from the storm and I called my agent. Wanted to see if he could send an appraiser to estimate the damage. No need, he said, just get a roofer and let them do an estimate. If it’s over my deductible ($1K) maybe they can do a claim. Was a little overstressed with my lack of power and other stuff, at the time, and basically told him that they never seem to pay anything! This is the 3rd claim I’ve been denied. The first was a flooded basement when our sump pump died. The second was some leakage in my front window that was caused by some sideways rain (not covered).

Now, I’m thinking shouldn’t my groceries be covered since my fridge had no power. How about those 3 nights I spent in a hotel? Shouldn’t he have at least told me these options? I feel like I’m dealing with the DMV here.

I used to have an agent in my home state that was much more friendly, sent me a free dinner on my bday. However, I never had the opportunity to submit a claim to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 08:19 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,412 times
It doesn't sound like your claim has been denied. They want an estimate on the repair. You have a thousand dollar deductible. They will pay if your roof repair is more than that. What exactly have they denied?

Did you ask the agent if staying in a hotel is part of your policy? Or food in the refrigerator? Would that add up to over a $1,000? If so, you may have a claim. I wouldn't expect the agent to guess what you did during the storm or what your expenses were.

I would also suggest that you read your policy and if you don't like the coverage, get a new policy.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Wait--are you sure they're denying your claim? From what you've said, it sounds like they're saying you won't need to (or want to) do a claim unless it's over your deductible. That's true. Filing a claim will reportedly raise your premiums, so if the damage is just slightly over your deductible, it probably doesn't make sense to do a claim. (We too have a $1K deductible.)

Also, what he told you about getting an estimate seems normal. It's pretty much what Travelers has told us when I've called. The adjuster is coming out on Friday, but in the meantime, they said to go ahead and do any storm cleanup and just get receipts, lest our property suffer more damage. They said that any discrepancy between the adjuster's estimate and the amount billed would be worked out by them. (It better, 'cause cleanup of the downed tree was $3400!) Three different people at Travelers told me this. I took plenty of photos before the tree guys did their thing.

As to food spoilage: The first time I called, the info-taker actually brought it up as something to claim; we were fortunate not to have any.

So yes, you should absolutely get to claim for replacement cost of what was damaged, as well as loss of use, food spoilage, cost to haul away damaged property, damaged landscaping, your hotel stay, etc.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 PM

I know and I have gotten my power back so I'm not as "hot" as I was when I talked to the agent. I was in my basement and didn't have all my papers in front of me since they are in the top level. I guess I was thinking that they could be more helpful. BTW, I don't think it'll be over 1K since it's a few shingles and a metal thing that is kinda bent.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:30 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,412 times
If you don't think that it will be close to your deductible, why did you call them? Sorry, I'm confused here.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
I know and I have gotten my power back so I'm not as "hot" as I was when I talked to the agent. I was in my basement and didn't have all my papers in front of me since they are in the top level. I guess I was thinking that they could be more helpful. BTW, I don't think it'll be over 1K since it's a few shingles and a metal thing that is kinda bent.
But then what put you in the hotel for those few days? The loss of electricity? I don't know what you spent on the hotel, but if the whole event cost you more than $2500, that's the point at which I'd feel like I'd rather make a claim than just pay out of pocket to keep the premiums low. Kind of depends on how much the premiums go up after one claim--that I don't know.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Home insurance (at least my policy) would certainly not cover hotel expenses if it was strictly due to loss of electricity from a storm. Now, if I had to be in a hotel because of damage to my house, well, that's another story.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Home insurance (at least my policy) would certainly not cover hotel expenses if it was strictly due to loss of electricity from a storm. Now, if I had to be in a hotel because of damage to my house, well, that's another story.
Agree, this is two seperate incidents (in the mind of the company). Unless the tree took out the electrical to just your house, doubtful.

On your previous claims, water damage from rain or outside water source is the hardest thing to get covered. Just ask the people in the gulf coast that didn't have flood insurance during Katrina. Houses flooded, most would say by wind, but not the insurance companies. Flood insurance is a completely seperate policy. Now if your toilet overflows and ruined the carpet and floor, no problem! Just my two cents..

Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
But then what put you in the hotel for those few days? The loss of electricity? I don't know what you spent on the hotel, but if the whole event cost you more than $2500, that's the point at which I'd feel like I'd rather make a claim than just pay out of pocket to keep the premiums low. Kind of depends on how much the premiums go up after one claim--that I don't know.

Yes. The electricity that went out put me in a hotel after the first night. Not from a tree. Some of my neighbors (in the same boat as us) were saying that homeowners "should" cover hotel, spoiled food...

As for the flood, I did have some sort of backup drains coverage, yet they still denied it.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
In the past, ours covered the spoiled food but not hotel rooms unless it exceeded 72 hours (we were without electricity from an ice storm for 10 days.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia