Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
"The main object here, is to find elevation for cooler weather during the summer months."

Cooler than what? The DC area, or Oklahoma?

IME, it's hard to get significantly cooler than DC by traveling only a few hours. But you might consider State College PA. Or Berkely Springs WV.

I'm confused. Whenever we go to the Shenandoah, skyland IS cooler than NoVa. Its been a while since we've been to the mountains in WVa, but ISTR it being cooler there as well. Am I misrembering, or did we just luck out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:08 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,285 times
Basye, Va. Golf course, lake, ski resort. Lots of retirees and low, low prices.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM

162 posts, read 359,160 times
Four hours might not sound too far right now, but as your kids get older, life gets busier, it will be too far. I agree with the others that you won't really get a much cooler climate.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:13 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
To notice a difference in temperature you'd probably have to venture into northern PA. Average high in July in Bradford just south of NY border is 79. Lots of rural, mountainous areas up that way as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I'm confused. Whenever we go to the Shenandoah, skyland IS cooler than NoVa. Its been a while since we've been to the mountains in WVa, but ISTR it being cooler there as well. Am I misrembering, or did we just luck out?
That's our experience, too--but Skyland is not really a town, just a sprinkling of cabins and campsites in a national park.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
That's our experience, too--but Skyland is not really a town, just a sprinkling of cabins and campsites in a national park.

Im not suggesting retiring to Skyland. But I assume there are places in WVa with housing, and with similar altitude? Maybe not?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im not suggesting retiring to Skyland. But I assume there are places in WVa with housing, and with similar altitude? Maybe not?
I suspect it's also the trees and lack of concrete that contribute to the lower temperature, along with the altitude. I don't know if the towns near the Blue Ridge or in WV see cooler temps than we get here, though.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 PM

20 posts, read 28,353 times
Deep Creek Lake would be my suggestion. Its 3 hours from Eastern Loudoun and has several golf courses and lots to do. Definetly cooler than the DC area and if they dont want to be on the Lake itself there are plenty of places close by. Very easy access to W. VA and PA and has the mountain feel.

Wisp ski resort is also just a few minutes away so youhave that for the winter.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:56 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
My question to you, though, is whether you think you will be moving back to NC at some point because then PA will be too far away for them. If you think there is a possibility, then I suggest Roanoke. It is a nice, small city. It's a bit mountainous, and I believe has a fair number of retirees. Lynchburg might also be an option.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Basye, Va. Golf course, lake, ski resort. Lots of retirees and low, low prices.
I can't believe I never heard of this place. I just looked it up--it's very close to Nova. I may just have to go check this plac

By the way, while mountain resorts are nice remember that your relatives need to be happy living there. Many resorts can become very boring after a week or two. A town that has lots of retirees, a variety of practical stores, a good library and a good medical center nearby are important things to look for, in addition to have a nice resort nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia