Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:40 AM

3 posts, read 4,330 times

Advertisements

Anyone with a large family or who has insight to the area? My family and I are relocating from Europe to NOVA. The family hasn't lived or visited the U.S in four years - we arrive December / January time frame.

I will be working in Crystal City - approximately 5 minute walk from the VRE.

Salary is about 100k. We have a monthly combined debt of $575.00 - car and student loan.

Comfortable with $2,000 (+/-) 10% mortgage or rent per month - will use VA loan to purchase home.

We have four kids ages 6, 8,12 and 15 - public schools are fine. We don't require Fairfax excellence, yet don't want as bad a district as Fairfax is good - so solid is fine. 4 bedrooms would be nice or 3 bedrooms with an additional nonconforming bedroom in the basement.

I can tolerate 60 to 90 minutes one way if I can take public transportation. I don't want to purchase another vehicle only to sit for two or three hours in traffic.

We don't want the hustle and bustle of a large city, yet don't want a city so small that there's nothing but the occasional cow wandering by.

Community ammenities are not super important but a Costco, movie theater, history, some decent food and a nice welcoming feel seem adequate.

The bottom line is that we are simple people, require decent schools, a safe living environment and an opportunity to enjoy weekend and evening family time. My spouse will find work once the family is settled, we prefer to make it work on my salary alone - she hasn't worked in 15 years and don't know what to expect. Neither my spouse nor I have been to Virginia or for that matter, east of the Mississippi - we are about as new as it gets.

Based upon exhuastive Google searches, we made our lists and it seems Manassas, Bristow, Gainesville, Fredericksburg and Stafford meet some to most of our critieria. Howerver, this is like shopping for jeans online without being able to try them on....any information would be amazing and much, much appreciated.

Last edited by SoupforSix; 09-12-2012 at 01:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 02:25 AM

162 posts, read 359,160 times
Of your choices, I'd rank them like this:

Gainsville
Bristow
Manassas
Fredricksburg
Stafford

Personally, I'd rather live "west" as opposed to "south," otherwise Manassas would be at the bottom of the list overall. The only reason it makes it above Fredricksburg and Stafford (IMO) is because I feel it is a better location. You, though, might prefer "south" over "west." I think you will find all have the amenities you want. Manassas also, IMO does not offer a particularly outstanding family friendly environment. I've lived and worked in Manassas. I will never go back and wouldn't recommend it. I feel you can get better for about the same money in the other locations you mentioned.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Per the previous suggestions, with Fredericksburg you might have a shorter drive to the namesake VRE station, as opposed to Bristow/Haymarket/Gainesville where a bit a drive to the Manassas VRE would be required. I suppose in the end, it might be roughly the same commute time; it just depends on how much time you prefer to spend in your car.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-12-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
If you can deal with ordinary suburbia -- which is neither a big city hustle/bustle nor cow country -- you could consider Burke. Solid schools, VRE/Metro nearby. All necessary shopping and recreation amenities are available. You will have a shorter commute and more time at home with your family.

You may prefer a less urban environment, which is fine. But, depending upon her line of work, it is likely that your wife will find far more employment opportunities near your home and/or the schools in a place like Burke than in Bristow.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM

303 posts, read 592,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Per the previous suggestions, with Fredericksburg you might have a shorter drive to the namesake VRE station, as opposed to Bristow/Haymarket/Gainesville where a bit a drive to the Manassas VRE would be required. I suppose in the end, it might be roughly the same commute time; it just depends on how much time you prefer to spend in your car.
People use the Broad Run Station at 10637 Piper Lane, Bristow, Virginia 20136

Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
If you can deal with ordinary suburbia -- which is neither a big city hustle/bustle nor cow country -- you could consider Burke. Solid schools, VRE/Metro nearby. All necessary shopping and recreation amenities are available. You will have a shorter commute and more time at home with your family.

You may prefer a less urban environment, which is fine. But, depending upon her line of work, it is likely that your wife will find far more employment opportunities near your home and/or the schools in a place like Burke than in Bristow.
Burke is as family friendly as it gets (with good schools), but the $2k budget will be squeezed there. If the OP is okay with a townhouse (which are often as many sf as a SFH), then they will have far more options.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,562 times
I would also highly recommend a good look at Burke..

Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Burke is as family friendly as it gets (with good schools), but the $2k budget will be squeezed there. If the OP is okay with a townhouse (which are often as many sf as a SFH), then they will have far more options.
And I would caution this with - be aware of the HOA fees. When my husband and I were looking at townhouses in Burke/Springfield, the HOA fees were ridiculous. At least one I looked at was $300 a month . Factoring in HOA fees - you would be looking at a $1700 mortgage payment to fit your $2000k budget.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 AM

526 posts, read 901,052 times
I would suggest West Springfield if you're willing to look at townhouses. Very similar in many ways to Burke, but not as many HOAs. It's a great area to raise kids and convenient to both VRE and metro.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 PM

144 posts, read 333,687 times
I feel your pain! I moved to Denmark in 2008 and then ended up coming back in 2009 and that was crazy! So, I wish you well with your move.

I also agree with looking either west or south... personally, my family and I are about to move south to Fredericksburg to get to some cheaper living. I was comparing Manassas to Fredericksburg and ended up choosing Fredericksburg as it seems to have more selection of homes in the price range that I want and I like the area more. Also, I will be taking the VRE to work everyday and the blue line (which runs from Manassas) does not stop at the station where I work... however the red line will take me right here.

Hope you settle in nicely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia