Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 PM

17 posts, read 78,638 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job with a school district near northern Virginia (I am from Indiana but wanted to move to be with my boyfriend), but now, a few weeks later, I realize that I no longer want to move and would like to stay in Indiana. I was wondering whats going to happen if I call the district and tell them I no longer want the job. Are there any horrible ramifications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
It's your life, if you don't want to move, you don't have to, especially such a far distance.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:17 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
I am assuming you didn't sign anything, did you? If not, be polite and tell them the truth. Nothing is going to happen.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:22 PM

I signed what they call an early acceptance letter. I'm not sure if it's their official contract or not but it did have my salary and things like that on it.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM

The letter also said that as long as I send my transcripts and test scores by a date in July that I will be an employee.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Just call them and tell them your plans have changed and you won't be moving and thank them for the offer. Better yet, put it in writing. Thank so much for your time, blah blah, but my plans have changed and I will not be relocating to Virginia. Make it short and to the point. You don't ever want to burn your bridges so make sure you let them know asap.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:55 PM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
Yeah, what can they do, come find you and drag you down to Virginia? I'm sure this isn't the first time anyone has changed their mind about accepting their job offer.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:13 PM

That's funny you should say that. When I first moved from NJ to PA, I accepted a job at a realtor's office. I was to start when my house was sold and we moved there but the date wasn't set yet. After a while, I decided not to take it but I never told them. I just avoided their calls (not the right thing but I was young and stupid). Anyway, when we finally moved in, the guy I was supposed to work for actually showed up at my door. I was mortified.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:14 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Default Why such a quick change of mind?

I am just a little bit confused here. Just yesterday you were asking about places to live in Nova. Why such the sudden change of mind? Maybe you should think it through a little more. You might turn the job down and then regret it dearly. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara22185 View Post
I accepted a job with a school district near northern Virginia (I am from Indiana but wanted to move to be with my boyfriend), but now, a few weeks later, I realize that I no longer want to move and would like to stay in Indiana. I was wondering whats going to happen if I call the district and tell them I no longer want the job. Are there any horrible ramifications?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
That's funny you should say that. When I first moved from NJ to PA, I accepted a job at a realtor's office. I was to start when my house was sold and we moved there but the date wasn't set yet. After a while, I decided not to take it but I never told them. I just avoided their calls (not the right thing but I was young and stupid). Anyway, when we finally moved in, the guy I was supposed to work for actually showed up at my door. I was mortified.
Wow, I've never heard of a realtor's office actually recruiting people like that. That's some dedicated realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia