Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 06:11 AM

721 posts, read 1,209,679 times

Advertisements

I did a walk-through with the landlord and the listing agent a day before moving into the apartment.

I found the drawers / cabinets not cleaned with stains inside. The listing agent said the cleaning party she hired only cleaned the surface and did not clean any interior. Is that the norm?

I also saw that there are food stains on the metal parts on the gas stove tops. The listing agent told me there was nothing more that they could do at this point.

I have to spend time cleaning after I move. What's your advice on this? Shall I hire a cleaning lady and ask the landlord to reimburse it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 06:27 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
You can ask, but they likely won't pay. On the walk through, you mentioned these issues; and they basically said it was your problem. If this was unacceptable to you, you should not have moved in.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You can ask, but they likely won't pay. On the walk through, you mentioned these issues; and they basically said it was your problem. If this was unacceptable to you, you should not have moved in.
This. Sorry you're unhappy. The move-in inspection is basically searching for damages, so that you know what you will/won't be charged for upon move-out. The cleaning stuff, while annoying, is not really a damage issue.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 AM

23 posts, read 62,464 times
You're pretty much stuck at this point. The larger cleaning companies generally offer a 'move-in/move-out' type service which is pretty superficial. That is probably what the agent had done. I would hire an independent cleaning woman and tell her exactly what you want to have done. You might try Servicemaster - I got quotes within minutes. For better or worse, independent cleaning women are generally dirt cheap and well worth it. For that reason, I would tip generously.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxcents View Post
You're pretty much stuck at this point. The larger cleaning companies generally offer a 'move-in/move-out' type service which is pretty superficial. That is probably what the agent had done. I would hire an independent cleaning woman and tell her exactly what you want to have done. You might try Servicemaster - I got quotes within minutes. For better or worse, independent cleaning women are generally dirt cheap and well worth it. For that reason, I would tip generously.
Thanks for the advice! I'll go with ServiceMaster and find a cheap cleaning lady.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:57 PM

141 posts, read 278,751 times
I would not move in. If they can't do something simple like making sure it's clean and presentable, how do you think they are going to act when something more serious goes wrong? I'd avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia