Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times

Advertisements

Blog - Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling (FABB)

BTW, I have essentially given up on biking up Columbia Pike - its not worth the stress, unless and untill Fairfax County improves the conditions up there (which needn't mean a bike lane the whole way from Annandale to the County line, but mostly some more short connections between the service lanes and maybe a couple of more protected crossings). If I need to get my bike up that way, I will put it on the 16 bus and take it off to ride in more bike friendly Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM

518 posts, read 1,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Blog - Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling (FABB)

BTW, I have essentially given up on biking up Columbia Pike - its not worth the stress, unless and untill Fairfax County improves the conditions up there (which needn't mean a bike lane the whole way from Annandale to the County line, but mostly some more short connections between the service lanes and maybe a couple of more protected crossings). If I need to get my bike up that way, I will put it on the 16 bus and take it off to ride in more bike friendly Arlington.
Columbia Pike in Annandale is all about traffic flow and not the pedestrian so much. Maybe that will change, but it is just very low density out there, and I don't see Fairfax making Columbia Pike more ped and bike friendly.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Columbia Pike in Annandale is all about traffic flow and not the pedestrian so much. Maybe that will change, but it is just very low density out there, and I don't see Fairfax making Columbia Pike more ped and bike friendly.
My rather protective parents allowed me to bike by myself on Columbia Pike and Little River Turnpike when I was 11 - it was lower density then, but it is bigher density now, both in terms of development (more apartment and townhouse complexes in both Annandale as the Bailey's Crossroads area) and car traffic. Since it's not near Metro and bus service is periodic, the additional density means more cars there. I expect that some of the additional traffic comes from people who live in Arlington traveling west to the Beltway.

Last edited by JD984; 12-06-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:

For biking the immediate density is somewhat less important than for pedestrians, because cyclists go further, faster. The need exists for a safe bike route from central Annandale (which is relatively dense, and will get denser if and when the form based code changes really have an impact) and the Baileys area (also slated for greater density, and the terminus of the new street car)

That said I have (while biking) seen pedestrians there. Including in one case someone pushing a stroller in a service lane, despite a near by sidewalk (I called a pass and went around).

They did just add a section of new sidewalk on the south side of Col Pike just west of Lincolnia.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
My rather protective parents allowed me to bike by myself on Columbia Pike and Little River Turnpike when I was 11 - it was lower density then, but it is bigher density now, both in terms of development (more apartment and townhouse complexes in both Annandale as the Bailey's Crossroads area). Since it's not near Metro and bus service is periodic, the additional density means more cars there. I expect that some of the additional traffic comes from people who live in Arlington traveling west to the Beltway.

I am assuming Irvine is referring to the stretch between the western side of Baileys Xroads (where you go by lake barcroft) and the beginning of commercial Annandale (near the historic church). That stretch is definitely too low a density to ever generate significant pedestrian traffic, or (IMO) to support much additional transit. (though there are some TH's, low rise apts, one hirise, and a shopping center)

I do think the density there and in adjacent denser areas is high enough to make it worthwhile to consider how to improve cycling - though I am quite aware that say adding full bike lanes on both sides at the expense of the general travel lanes would be unlikely - but I think you could improve cycling with far smaller measures - some has already been done in the area near the Holmes Run trail - short connections between existing bikeable service lanes.

I guess the more controversial issue would be to add another light protected crossing - not enough cyclists crossing to justify it, and not enough peds - it would really be to be benefit auto traffic turning on to Col Pike at the expense of delaying the through traffic - and I dont recall if there is any as yet unsignaled intersection with a lot of turning traffic. So I don't have my hopes up.

I am real eager to see the new FFX cty bike plan, both for this area and other corridors.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 12-06-2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM

518 posts, read 1,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am assuming Irvine is referring to the stretch between the western side of Baileys Xroads (where you go by lake barcroft) and the beginning of the commercial Annandale (near the historic church). That stretch is definitely too low a density to ever generate significant pedestrian traffic, or (IMO) to support much additional transit.
That's the stretch I was referring to. It is just very low density. But I agree that even almost exclusively automobile-oriented roads could use some pedestrian and bike infrastructure, especially if the road connects some busy commercial neighborhoods.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,027 times
Quote:
That's the stretch I was referring to. It is just very low density. But I agree that even almost exclusively automobile-oriented roads could use some pedestrian and bike infrastructure, especially if the road connects some busy commercial neighborhoods.
Yes - it is a low density residential stretch with nice SFH neighborhoods. The neighborhoods haven't changed much for decades, but that stretch of Columbia Pike is busier than it used to be, and part of the reason is higher-density developments built elsewhere (and not just in Fairfax) in areas where you generally need cars to get places. Increasing the residential density along that stretch would just make matters worse, without a significant upgrade to the mass transit options. Bike lanes between Annandale and Bailey's might be nice, but probably more for recreational riders than anyone else, unless something was done that, say, made it easy to get from Annandale to Skyline by bike, and then from Skyline to points further east.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Yes - it is a low density residential stretch with nice SFH neighborhoods. The neighborhoods haven't changed much for decades, but that stretch of Columbia Pike is busier than it used to be, and part of the reason is higher-density developments built elsewhere (and not just in Fairfax) in areas where you generally need cars to get places. Increasing the residential density along that stretch would just make matters worse, without a significant upgrade to the mass transit options. Bike lanes between Annandale and Bailey's might be nice, but probably more for recreational riders than anyone else, unless something was done that, say, made it easy to get from Annandale to Skyline by bike, and then from Skyline to points further east.

I am pretty sure the County has no plans to change the zoning in that area (in contrast to their plans for the commercial part of Annandale, and for Baileys Crossroads) Absent such a very unlikely change, its built out I think.

There's enough retail and enough employment in the Baileys area I would think it would be a useful route for transportation cycling from Annandale to Baileys. To go further east I would wend my way through Culmore and then head towards the trail that runs from near NVCC to Shirlington, where you pick up the W&OD and Four Mile Run trails (or you can go south from Shirlington to bike friendly streets, many with marked sharrows, in Alexandria). You could also get people from Baileys heading west to employment in Annandale.

And of course when PikeRail is completed there will be additional reasons to bike to Baileys from Annandale (granted thats some years away)

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Bike lanes between Annandale and Bailey's might be nice
You don't need bike lanes the whole way. There are already several sections with very bikeable service roads or similar roads parallel to Col Pike. All you need are some connections between them.

Though in this case the problem seems to have been the inadequate number (at least from the bike/ped perspective) of signalized intersections to get across the Pike - which presents different issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia