Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times

Advertisements

I bought a new (2013) car in MD a few months ago. FINALLY got the plates and title from the dealer.

I live in Alexandria... what taxes do I pay? I believe I paid the VA sales tax already at the MD dealer. But I now need to pay an Alexandria tax, I think?

Also, do I need to get this inspected? The car doesn't have any inspection sticker on it. The state where I moved from, new cars don't have to be inspected for the first two years. Please don't tell me I have to pay some shop in VA to look at my brand new car and say its "safe" or pass an emission test.

Last edited by smarterguy; 12-19-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Personal Property (Vehicle) Tax | Finance | City of Alexandria, VA

And yes, your vehicle needs to be inspected and you have to display the inspection sticker on the front windshield. If you had bought your car at a dealership in Virginia, it would already have the inspection sticker on it.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,485 times
It's all online for you to read.

Safety inspection requirements: Virginia State Police - Safety Division

Emissions: Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Specific answers to your new vehicle inspection questions are in the FAQ:

Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions

Do new vehicles need to be submitted for the annual safety inspection?
New vehicles purchased in Virginia that have been inspected in accordance with an inspection requirement of the manufacturer or distributor are not required to undergo the initial annual safety inspection. Placement of an inspection sticker on the windshield of a vehicle will be at the automobile dealer’s option. Such inspection by the automobile dealer shall be deemed to be the first inspection for meeting the purpose of § 46.2-1158 Code of Virginia. However, these vehicles must be reinspected within twelve months of the month of the first inspection or purchase and at least once every twelve months thereafter and display a valid inspection decal. If an inspection sticker is not placed on the windshield by the manufacturer or distributor, the owner should maintain documentation within the vehicle to show when the vehicle was purchased and to serve as a reference for future requirements for inspection.

While the new language in Section 46.2-1158.01 states that “an inspection sticker may be affixed to the vehicle as required by Section 46-2-1163.”, for several practical reasons, an approval sticker should be affixed to the vehicle. The reasons are as follows:

Once the purchaser drives the vehicle off the lot, it no longer meets the definition of a new vehicle as defined in Section 46.2-1500 of the Code of Virginia. Not if, but when the purchaser is stopped by law enforcement for not displaying an inspection sticker, and returns to the selling dealership for a sticker, the vehicle will be subject to an official state inspection like any other used vehicle. This obviously could lead to customer dissatisfaction.
The affixing of the sticker to the new vehicle will prevent the vehicle from being unnecessarily stopped by law enforcement.
In the absence of a sticker, there will be no visual reminder to the driver when the vehicle needs to be re-inspected. If the vehicle is not re-inspected as required by Section 46.2-1157 of the Code of Virginia, the operator would be subject to a traffic summons.
The affixing of an official inspection sticker to all “new vehicles” will be to the mutual benefit of the automobile dealer, the customer, and law enforcement.

If a vehicle is purchased out-of-state and then registered in Virginia, it must be inspected once it is registered in this state.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
Oye... thanks for the links and info. Would have bought in state but no one had this model/color...

Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
If you go this week, you'll probably be in and out in 15 minutes and $16 poorer. It's really not that big of a deal.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times
I recently purchased a car in MD and they charged me VA tax, not MD. Did have the car inspected in VA and I called the personal property office to be sure they had record of the purchase. They told me the adjusted amount to pay on my trade in since this coincided with the annual bill and to expect a bill for the new car at the end of the year.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,411 times
Along the same lines I recently had emissions done on my car. As far as I can tell they didn't hook anything up the car to actually measure the emissions. All they did was start it to make sure it wasn't throwing any codes and look under it to see that it had catalytic converters and a muffler. $28 what a joke.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:24 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Along the same lines I recently had emissions done on my car. As far as I can tell they didn't hook anything up the car to actually measure the emissions. All they did was start it to make sure it wasn't throwing any codes and look under it to see that it had catalytic converters and a muffler. $28 what a joke.
In MD? Yep, if you have a car after a certain vintage that is all they do. I have an older pickup and they use to put it on the rolling pins and shift gears up to a certain mph with the hose on the pipes. They did away with the rolling pins and now just put the hose on the pipes while it idles. I'll never understand the fuel cap test.
I live near I-95 - arguably the most traveled highway in the US - and wonder how much emissions are being left by out of state drivers while mine is tested.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,446 times
I leased a new car in Maryland from the dealership. but it had no inspection sticker. I reside in VA, Who should have the responsibility for the inspection, customer or dealership?

Old 02-28-2020, 07:06 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnatal View Post
I leased a new car in Maryland from the dealership. but it had no inspection sticker. I reside in VA, Who should have the responsibility for the inspection, customer or dealership?
you, unless your leasing agreement says differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia