Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:22 PM

406 posts, read 625,176 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Kingstown area in August. I would like to get some ideas on food budget for a family of four. Here's some information about us:
We cook 7 days a week.
We don't use any processed foods.
We don't shop at whole foods and eat at a restaurant once or twice a month.
I bring my lunch to work.

Thanks on advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 04:28 PM

231 posts, read 575,618 times
we are a family of 4 and we spend between $150 to $200 per week. Now, I know that might seem high to some, but my daughter has an allergy to wheat so she has to have all her food gluten free, which is more expensive to buy. So, there are times when I do have to make a quick run to whole foods. I can get most of the gluten free stuff at wegmans though which is great. We make all our meals and only eat out maybe once a month. We also pack our lunches for school and work.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:05 PM

406 posts, read 625,176 times
Thanks for the input.

We currently spend $125 pet week in New Orleans.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 PM

274 posts, read 708,871 times
I'm not from that area, but it would be wise to find an International grocery, especially for veggies and fresh fruits. Hard to find spices too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
We will be relocating to the Kingstown area in August. I would like to get some ideas on food budget for a family of four. Here's some information about us:
We cook 7 days a week.
We don't use any processed foods.
We don't shop at whole foods and eat at a restaurant once or twice a month.
I bring my lunch to work.

Thanks on advance for your assistance.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
There's a farmer's market once a week in the afternoons/early evenings in one of the parking lots at Kingstowne shopping center. There's also a Wal-Mart there which will help keep down prices on your staple goods, and a Wegman's is coming. Virginia has price controls on milk, so you won't find a bargain there; prices will be about the same no matter which store you shop.

Up at 395/Duke Street is one of the international supermarkets and they typically have good prices and variety in their produce department.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Depends if your diet is heavy on cheaper carbs or more expensive proteins and produce. To eat healthfully around here be prepared to spend closer to $200 including non-consumables.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
If you're on a strict food budget, you can do well if you shop at Aldi's. They have very low prices on many foods. I don't know if there is one near Kingstowne. If not, you also need to be prepared to shop the specials. There are several grocery stores, so it's wise to look at each circular and pick out the best one(s) for the week for fruits and veggies. Trader Joe's has good prices on frozen veggies and fruit and many other items.

We are a family of 5, and we usually spent about $150 per week on groceries when we lived in NoVA. But we eat mostly vegetarian, so we don't have a high meat cost. Farmer's markets are good but not necessarily cheaper, although there might be deals at the end of the day. I think you'll have no problem sticking with your budget, but there might be a learning curve as you get to know the supermarkets in NoVA and their pricing strategies.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 PM

810 posts, read 1,025,186 times
We do our grocery shopping at freshworld at Springfield, VA if we don't feel like going to Merrifield (Great Wall supermarket)

FRESH WORLD - INTERNATIONAL SUPERMARKET

They have pretty low prices.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
You have the options of 2 giants (one on either end of Kingstowne - one larger and more crowded, the other more like a local market) Though I imagine Wegmans will be putting the smaller one out of business. You also have the Walmart and a Saveway as well as a Shoppers. All within 2 -3 miles of all of Kingstowne. I find the prices at the smaller Giant to be the best. As well as the ease in shopping there and parking etc. Get a Giant Card, and you can save on gas points. There is also another international market over off of Commerce in Springfield, though Fresh World is nicer. I think the abundance of stores keeps the prices pretty competative.

Welcome to Kingstowne.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
There is also another international market over off of Commerce in Springfield, though Fresh World is nicer.
Oh yeah, it's called "LA Mart" (I don't think there's a website): LA Mart - Springfield, VA

It's a bit small for us which is why we prefer Fresh World. I had completely forgotten about this place lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: