Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,378 times

Advertisements

A number of years ago, I got rid of some by leaving open cans on the deck so they'd dry up, then I put them by the curb and the trash folks took them. But I think they don't any longer -- at least, I believe that's true because some cans in my neighborhood stayed out on the curb for a few days.

Suggestions for alternative methods of dealing with half-full paint cans, and places I can actually take them for disposal, instead of only hoping that my trash pickup service will take them?

ALSO: this is latex paint, not oil.

Last edited by persnicketygal; 05-15-2015 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: left out an impt fact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 12:05 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,753 times
Latex paint can be dried in thrown in the trash.

Household Hazardous Waste*- Fairfax County, Virginia

EDIT: and since it is allowed and legal, I wouldn't bother with leaving the cans out. Dry them, stick them in trash bags, and put them in the trash can like your other trash, or go to a station as noted in the link above if you are in Fairfax County not City.

EDIT 2: If in Fairfax City, you had the right process, cans out on the curb with tops off and I'm of no help on what else to do. http://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/...fuse-recycling

Old 05-15-2015, 12:06 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,485,378 times
I take stuff to the I-66 Transfer Station. They charge a nominal fee but it is worth checking out of you have never been because it can be quite helpful when needed.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:00 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Old paint? I ride an old paint.

(Yes, you can love MMM and Dead Can Dance.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-15-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 06:41 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Here's Fairfax County's site on what to do with household hazmat:

[url=http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/trash/disphhw.htm]Household Hazardous Waste*- Fairfax County, Virginia[/url

If it's latex paint, you could probably mix it with sawdust/shredded paper and then throw it away in the trash. Or give it away on Craigslist. (The above link indicates they're really only looking for oil-based paint, but I'd bet that if you show up with latex, they'd dispose of that for you as well.)

Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,485,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Here's Fairfax County's site on what to do with household hazmat:

[url=http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/trash/disphhw.htm]Household Hazardous Waste*- Fairfax County, Virginia[/url

If it's latex paint, you could probably mix it with sawdust/shredded paper and then throw it away in the trash. Or give it away on Craigslist. (The above link indicates they're really only looking for oil-based paint, but I'd bet that if you show up with latex, they'd dispose of that for you as well.)
Yeah, they will take it at the transfer station. The reason I would take it there as opposed to drying it out or leaving it with the trash is for time and to make sure some pranksters did not find it and paint the street, my house or car with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia