Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times

Advertisements

I think you should approach with a new twist. Since HR is reluctant to give you a raise based on the work you are currently doing (totally understandable). I would counter with no raise, and they pay for the training that you want. This way they are investing in you and you say you want more challenging work.... if you have this training at the current employer, would this open up new possibilities for challenging work there? I say this is a win/win for all parties. You could even sweeten it and say you sign an agreement to work for x length of time after the training is finished and if you leave the company with x timeframe, you would have to pay back a certain portion. This protects their investment and you have already stated that you think highly of them. I wouldn't be so quick to burn your bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 12:26 PM

256 posts, read 462,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
There is no reason not to issue a backdated letter now. If they are willing to orally make an offer now, they should be willing to make it in writing now, even if it says "March 28" on it. It could be your boss spoke out of turn--that he was not deceptive, just impulsive. Either way, if HR does not approve the raise, you won't be getting it.

Still, the firing of the last three folks in the other position is a major concern.
It has been a disappointing day. HR confirmed that I do not meet senior data analyst position since I only have been working for 3 and half years. They require at least 5 years of data analyst experience. So HR will not approve my promotion. My manager told we will make a raise in your salary but I do not receive any written email or letter that identifies. I just asked them for a letter or email that identifies my raise but I was told they cannot do it before March 28. I am really disappointed and it seems like it is the real business life. Do not trust the verbal offers. Make sure everything is written and formal.

I really thank everyone for the help because I would just accept my current employees offer and probably will never receive this raise. Since, I still did not give an answer to other company, they are willing to provide me more opportunities. At least, I will get this training and I can leave after that.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
To clarify -- His current employer is not able/willing to offer the salary increase. HR told OP he does not possess the requirements for Senior Data Analyst.

Honestly, at this point, I'd blow the joint (current company) and take the training and increased pay with the new company. Get the training, experience, and keep your network warm for future job searching.

Be kind to your current employer. Thank them for their consideration of a raise and the wonderful opportunity you've been given. Then hit the door and don't look back, for now. Stay in touch with your friend and this company. Perhaps when you have more qualifications, you can return.
I think this is what I will do. I have been trying to be really honest and reasonable with them. I just told them I only want something official to stay. They told me they will work on it today and will let me know by 4pm.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I think you should approach with a new twist. Since HR is reluctant to give you a raise based on the work you are currently doing (totally understandable). I would counter with no raise, and they pay for the training that you want. This way they are investing in you and you say you want more challenging work.... if you have this training at the current employer, would this open up new possibilities for challenging work there? I say this is a win/win for all parties. You could even sweeten it and say you sign an agreement to work for x length of time after the training is finished and if you leave the company with x timeframe, you would have to pay back a certain portion. This protects their investment and you have already stated that you think highly of them. I wouldn't be so quick to burn your bridges.
They will not send me to this training. I asked them several times last year and brought it back today. They do not want me to send to this training. Whoever goes to training leaves their current position for a higher position in or outside of the company. They know that I will leave in 2 years if I get this certification so they will not send me. I asked them today but they told me it does not reflect my job requirements. I will definitely stay with no raise if they send me the training. I think it is the biggest win I could do. It will help me so many new doors.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Interesting. If your current company offered attractive job opportunities, pay and benefits at the end of your training, you and other employees would gladly stay.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:57 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
My views on the OP's situation have evolved somewhat as this thread has progressed.

I still think the new potential employer sounds awful. Anyone who fires three people in a row in the same position is either a horrible judge of talent or is impossibly demanding. Or could it be that this is the way they operate? Does it save them money (in the short term) to hire a new person every year, rather than give a raise or bonus to the existing person? I've read that some consulting firms work that way. If that's the case with the new job, then you have no hope of succeeding there. OTOH, if you can be convinced that truly is not the case AND you are extremely organized and detail-oriented AND you are willing to exceed the crazy hours they expect--maybe then it might be worth it.

At the same time, the current employer's having renegged on an offer is a bad sign--though of what, I'm not sure. I'm starting to form a picture of a small, disorganized firm where people are given wide lattitude and good work/life balance but are not paid very well or given training very often.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
This thread has been a long one. Enough to change positions multiple times. I thought when he decided to stay that this thread was done.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 PM

Hi everyone-

I accepted the PM offer! I do not know if it is the correct decision but this training opportunity is a gold mine and I could not say no. My current employer is not willing to send me the training and HR will not get me that position for another 1 and a half year. I will start my new PM role on March 24 and will directly fly to Wisconsin for 3 weeks of training. My goal is to complete this training, pass the projects & the exams and become a certified medical engineer. I will probably be looking for another job in 3 months so I will have enough time to get a better job, (hopefully closer to my home). I am really nervous about this position but also really excited about this opportunity. It probably will not workout but I will try my best. Thanks a lot for your support. It really helped to ask right question at the right time so I believe that I got a life time opportunity (training).

Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
We wish you the best!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Congratulations on your decision. I do wonder whether the new job will permit any time to look for a new one. Also, be sure that you don't have to reimburse them for the costs of training/certification if you leave within x days/months. Then again, if they fire you like the did the last 3, you likely will get the free training AND have plenty of time to look for a new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: