Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 05:49 AM

6 posts, read 8,366 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to put my townhome on the market and wanted to get everyone's opinion as to where I should advertise. Are there any local websites you guys use to look for homes? The only one I know of is Craigslist. Is the Washington Post worth it?

I'm in South Riding or better known as Chantilly.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:31 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,803 times
I always recommend militarybyowner.com We looked at a number of places that were posted there and the person who bought our home had found it on this site as well.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:26 AM

847 posts, read 3,354,168 times
You're looking to sell your townhouse, not just to rent it out, right? So much of the market for housing in the DC area is made up of transfers from out of the area that I think the realtors' MLS system is really your best bet.

In other markets, people move around within the area and know the local ways to find properties to look at, but people moving into the area for the first time have no idea how to do this, and no way to know. (Military buyers may be different -- they might be better able to find people to ask advice from, and learn about websites like the one suggested above. I don't know much about that particular website or how much traffic it gets).

There are discount brokers in the area who are willing to just put your listing on the MLS for a nominal flat fee of a few hundred dollars and let you handle the rest of the transaction on your own. Many others will just discount the % of the sales price they'll take, but it sounds like that's more than you're willing (and probably more than you have to) spend. Keep in mind that getting a listing on the MLS doesn't just make it available to other brokers -- so many websites put MLS listings up on the Internet for anyone to search themselves that, if you can get on it, you can get a really wide audience for your listing.

You can look at Moderator cut: use a dm to recommend a realtor and click on the house in the upper right corner to look at the MLS yourself, and I think that broker might be willing to enter your listing for a flat fee -- he's talked about it before, but I'm not 100% sure what his current feelings are on the subject.

I'm not sure exactly who else is doing this nowadays, but you can try to track down someone from Fairfax Realty -- they've traditionally attracted agents who are willing to work at a deep discount, and I would expect a lot of those agents to be pretty hungry right about now.

Last edited by Yac; 02-19-2008 at 03:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia