Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 AM

12 posts, read 32,371 times

Advertisements

My husband recently got a job offer and if he accepts that offer we have to move to north (we're now in FL). The place to live could be flexible because he mainly travels, but the most southern possible place is Northern Virginia or Maryland. We have a son who is 6th grade (middle school here) now and could start 7th grade in the new place. I checked the housing that area according to the school ranking and single family home is really expensive. We are thinking of paying maximum $400K and hit only townhoouses or condos. For me, downsizing is OK as long as the it's in good area and inside and outside is not extremely old. However, my husband insists an independent house - according to him, townhouses and condos are for singles or couples without kids. Kids should not live in townhouses/condos. Also, the value do not rise as much as a house. Actually, where we live in FL, most of my kid's friends are living in an independent house (we don't see that many condos nor townhouses here anyway). Is this the same as northern Virginia or Maryland? I think it's up to the area and in NV or MD, it should be quite normal for a family with kids live in townhomes/condos. It would be great if I can get some input from the residences. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
The way your husband is thinking about THs does not really apply in NoVA. Because of the cost of real estate in this area and the scarcity of land available for development, THs are very popular in this area including for families. And, depending on where you're looking, even $400k will not get you the newest, nicest TH in this area. But, it sounds like you have some flexibility on the location you choose. Where and how will your husband be traveling? Will he have an office anywhere where he will sometimes be working? Depending on the answers to those questions, you may want to consider a location outside of the immediate DC Metro area.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
I would say most people who live in SFH have kids, but that doesn't mean people who have kids don't live in townhouses or condos. I have a child and live in a townhouse as do my neighbors on either side of me. There are plenty of kids in the townhouse area of my neighborhood (my neighborhood has a mix of SFH, townhouses, and condos). Where it gets sticky is when you have three or more kids I think (then the townhouses can get a little cramped/lack of bedrooms). The big drawback is no yards, but there are playgrounds and open areas. Plus, the closeness of everyone means kids see each other outside and play a lot.

I really can't comment on value much. I know I bought my townhouse in Springfield for $390k three years ago. According to Zillow and neighborhood sales it's up to $457k (that seems high to me though). I looked at a few SFH in my neighborhood, but I couldn't find one that sold around the same time I bought mine (for a good comparison). The closest I found was one that sold in July 2010 for $680k and is valued at $716k by Zillow as well. Of course who knows, maybe I got a great deal and the people who bought the SFH didn't. But my point is, both houses gained value.

I would first concern myself with where exactly your husband will work and what his commute will be like. What is considered a short commute in a lot of places (15 miles or so) can easily be an hour+ long commute in this area. If he's working up in Maryland (for example) I am not sure that you would want to live as far south as Northern Virginia.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 32,371 times
Thank you very much for your comments. Actually, my husband's job sites are DC area and north (PA, NJ, Delaware) and he usually travels by car. We could live anywhere in that area, but I've lived in Mclean 20 years ago and feels cozy to stay in northern VA or Maryland. Also, I'd like to work and my job is very specific and probably it's easier to find jobs in D.C. area.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
Northern Virginia has changed a lot in the past 20 years. Few people would describe it as cozy. Unless your husband will be spending the majority of his time in the DC area or you have a field of expertise where the DC area is the only place to find employment, I think I'd be looking outside of the DC metro area. A $400k housing budget will go much further in Baltimore-Wilmington-Philadelphia-South Jersey than it will here.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:22 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
I know quite a few people who live in townhouses with two or three kids. Some newer townhouses here are almost as big as my single-family home in terms of square footage (but not ones under $400K).

Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I know quite a few people who live in townhouses with two or three kids. Some newer townhouses here are almost as big as my single-family home in terms of square footage (but not ones under $400K).

I bet their neighbors without kids hate them. The noise must be unbearable. I am lucky that my neighbors on both sides of me have no children.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM

18 posts, read 96,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Agreed! I think townhomes are perfect for small, young families (both for affordability and size).

Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I bet their neighbors without kids hate them. The noise must be unbearable. I am lucky that my neighbors on both sides of me have no children.
There aren't many people in my neighborhood without kids. Particularly in the townhouses.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
We live in a townhouse with 2 kids. No issues. Although we'd like a little more space and probably will move in the next couple of years, we certainly could stay there forever if we wanted. It's 2200 sq. feet. Our neighbors actually raised both their kids there. There are lots of kids in townhouse complex. I would never want to live in an apartment/condo with kids, but I know some people do it out of necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia