Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in taking one of the FCPS ACE Spanish courses this summer. Seems like a pretty good deal, about $250 for 8 to 10 classes.

Anyone here have any experience with their language classes, or the ACE program in general? Would you recommend it? I was thinking of taking the '200' level course, since I have taken 101 and 102 during undergrad, but really wish I had kept up with practicising it.

Any opinions or feedback would be truly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:04 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times
No one?

Old 06-01-2014, 04:27 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,419 times
I took two ACE sessions of the Italian language course a couple of years ago, starting from scratch with the 100 level. I'm a bit reluctant to generalize based on my particular experience, but some observations on the beginner's course for what they're worth:

-- We started with 14 people, but by the end of the semester were down to five. Obviously, different levels of commitment and of ability to learn a language. A bit frustrating to have people with different abilities, since the teacher had to tailor his approach to those who were having the most difficulty.

-- This may have been our teacher's preference, but the text he used was really heavy on grammar. Way too much way too soon. I don't think any of us achieved even minimal fluency or comfort in actually speaking the language to any degree.

-- Compared to learning German in high school (40 minutes a day every day for three years) or three separate languages at the State Department's Foreign Service Institute (6 hours a day for anywhere between 26 and 44 consecutive weeks) I found trying to learn a language for two hours once a week a lot more difficult. Maybe it's just that learning language gets harder as you get older, but my Italian -- such as it is -- firmly resides in that rather large part of my brain coated with Teflon.

Having said all that, I still think you should take the ACE course in Spanish that you are thinking of doing. In this area you certainly are not going to lack the opportunity to use Spanish frequently in everyday situations, which is how you really learn a language.

Good luck, or to put it another way, "Buena suerte!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia