Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM

529 posts, read 752,679 times

Advertisements

I am shopping for home owner's insurance and I am new to this.

Please let me know what are the things to be considered before deciding the policy.

Discounts:
deadbolts,
fire alarm
sprinklers ????
Security system
Fire hydrant
Multi-discount (auto)

As per fairfax county, the property's Improvement Assessment value is : $410 K, land value is around $200K.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 03:34 PM

173 posts, read 498,425 times
You will get discounts for each category. I generally use the same company for auto and home. That saves me around 80-100 on auto policy.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:58 PM

304 posts, read 1,020,562 times
We have home, property, and auto with USAA and it's very reasonable, much cheaper for the same coverage as compared to when I had AllState (only had auto then).

Also, we don't have it but I bet a home security system would lower your insurance too.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:18 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I am planning to add home security system too.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,465,206 times
Be sure to compare apples-to-apples of policies. For example, compare the exclusions or other important conditions (e.g., a company may not cover flood damage, sewer backup, etc.).

If you can afford a big deductible, e.g., 10% of the value of the house, some policies are much more affordable. Since you don't want to make small claims (because they cause your premiums to increase or may cause the company to cancel your policy altogether), a big deductible policy sometimes makes sense.

You don't want to insure the value of the land, since that will not be destroyed in a fire or hurricane. You want to insure the value of the house and property. Do you want a policy that provides for replacement value or depreciated value in the event of a loss? For most people the former is better. The premium isn't much higher, but if a fire wipes out your house, the much greater replacement value $ would come in handy. However, you want to read this provisions carefully because some companies say "replacement value" but then subtract some depreciation.

Either get a policy that has automatic increases in coverage as your house and stuff increase in value or replacement cost, or be sure to update your coverage regularly.

Just my two cents.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Be sure to compare apples-to-apples of policies. For example, compare the exclusions or other important conditions (e.g., a company may not cover flood damage, sewer backup, etc.).

If you can afford a big deductible, e.g., 10% of the value of the house, some policies are much more affordable. Since you don't want to make small claims (because they cause your premiums to increase or may cause the company to cancel your policy altogether), a big deductible policy sometimes makes sense.

You don't want to insure the value of the land, since that will not be destroyed in a fire or hurricane. You want to insure the value of the house and property. Do you want a policy that provides for replacement value or depreciated value in the event of a loss? For most people the former is better. The premium isn't much higher, but if a fire wipes out your house, the much greater replacement value $ would come in handy. However, you want to read this provisions carefully because some companies say "replacement value" but then subtract some depreciation.

Either get a policy that has automatic increases in coverage as your house and stuff increase in value or replacement cost, or be sure to update your coverage regularly.

Just my two cents.
Thank you so much.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:43 PM

You're welcome. Also, my 10% should have been 1-2%. Good luck shopping!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 PM

9,894 posts, read 14,181,970 times
Quote:
lso, my 10% should have been 1-2%.
Whew! I have no idea what the average house costs around here, but I know it's expensive. Let's say $400K......I was shocked to think that you felt $40K was a good deductible amount in order to save a few hundred bucks.

Glad you clarified!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 PM

Just to clarify, spencgr, people wouldn't ensure the land value. So if you have a $600K house but the lot is worth $400K, you would be ensuring only $200K (plus your stuff).

Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
You're welcome. Also, my 10% should have been 1-2%. Good luck shopping!
when I read it first, I read it as 1% for some reason, didn't realize that until I saw this post.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: