Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:28 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of different venues that people attend in our region for fireworks and so I am wondering where do you all go? Do you brave the adventure downtown to DC or do you try to find a spot in NoVA? And if the latter, then where do you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
We went to Middleburg last year and it was terrific--good show, small crowd (comparatively), easy parking.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
We went to Middleburg last year and it was terrific--good show, small crowd (comparatively), easy parking.
Great show in Middleburg, and I don't have to leave my back yard. We love it. The dogs, on the other hand, aren't so fond of them being set off so close.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:55 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,586 times
I went to a fair amount of places growing up. My favorite was probably the hill on Columbia Pike which overlooks the Pentagon and D.C. You could get a great free view of the fireworks, wander back to your car, and head home. Traffic could be a little dicey but it wasn't nearly as bad as attempting to get out of D.C. afterwards.

Now of course, that isn't as much fun, partly because that became a very popular destination. Also, when the Air Force Memorial got built, it took away a portion of the space so it got a lot more crowded. I haven't been there in years but I assume this is still an option.

Otherwise, I lived relatively close to George Mason high school and that was always a decent show. I dated a girl from Vienna for awhile and their town parade/fireworks show was a nice presentation as well. 4th of July baseball games are also a nice idea since they're bound to shoot things off afterwards, we've done the Potomac Nationals twice on the 4th in recent years.

Worst...well, it wasn't the 4th of July. I was one of the million idiots who decided I just had to be in downtown DC for the turning of 1999 to 2000, the big Millennium celebration. Will Smith was the master of ceremonies and dubbed it the "Will"ennium which was ridiculous because I think he gave an opening speech and then took off in a helicopter after five minutes. It took hours to get home, from the cattle car streets, to the cattle car metro station, to the cattle car trains. I have no fond memories of that night.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 AM

518 posts, read 925,343 times
I'm a fan of going to the hill in front of the Netherlands Carillon and picnicking for the day followed by the DC fireworks right across the river. It's located right between Arlington Cemetery and the Iwo Jima memorial. You can also catch a performance by the Marines silent drill corp at the Iwo Jima memorial as well. You can get there by car, metro or bike. If you are driving, get there early or find someone with parking nearby. Metro can be a hike with kids (Rosslyn or Arlington Cemetary) but is definitely doable as well. Biking is pretty easy as well but can suck going home at night with all the pedestrians leaving out at the same time as you.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM

160 posts, read 279,516 times
We go to the Fairfax fireworks show. Park at Woodson HS and take the shuttle to Fairfax HS. Lots of stuff for kids in the infield, and the fireworks were pretty spectacular!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:40 AM

529 posts, read 750,837 times
We used to go to Ashburn Village fireworks in Loudoun County which was the best in the surrounding area.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:09 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
We drive to the Pentagon and walk over to the LBJ Memorial Grove. Lots of trees for shade and a great view of the fireworks -- plus an easy exit out with some but not crazy traffic.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,690 times
We live in Bristow so we go to Old Town Manassas. We've been the last 2 years and it's been great, so we plan to do that again this year.

A few years ago (I think 2009?) we went to DC. It was a madhouse taking the metro back to the Vienna station! We had 4 young kids with us (ages 3-9 at the time) and I wouldn't do it again. Maybe if I could get a hotel room right in DC or had friends there I could spend the night with.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 PM

774 posts, read 1,049,553 times
We're spending this week at Lake Anna so we'll be enjoying the fireworks down here from our boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia