Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:49 PM

11 posts, read 17,907 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My family is moving to NOVA from Hampton Roads. I will be working in the city, husband will stay in Hampton Roads until he secures a position in the DC Area.

We are targeting Fairfax and Loudoun Counties because of the excellent school systems and what I believe to be a doable commute into DC. Specifically, we are targeting Reston because of the proximity to the new metro station.

Any advice on the best places to live that offer good schools and a good commute? I am unfamiliar with the area, though hubby is from Maryland (Silver Spring). He does NOT want to move to Silver Spring.

Also important is diversity, particularly when it comes to the schools. Hampton Roads is pretty diverse because of the large military presence, I'd like to try and find an area that matches that diversity, or comes close.

We will be renting since we own two properties in Hampton Roads and are not ready to sell them at this time.

So far I have considered Reston, Herndon, Sterling and Ashburn.

I would appreciate any tips or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 06:11 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Since you said youll be working in the city, there may be better, closer-in options than Reston:

Where in DC is your future work location?

How much can you afford monthly in rent?

What type of housing do you seek at this time? (apartment, townhome, SFH)

Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM

11 posts, read 17,907 times
We are looking for a town home or single family home. Although we can afford more, I really don't want to go over $2500/month in housing expenses.

I'll be working in Federal Triangle.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:08 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
I'd say look into Fairfax, Vienna (the part closer to Vienna metro), West Falls Church - you should be able to find a townhome within that budget somewhere close to the Orange Line metro. Much closer in than Reston. Sterling, Ashburn etc...dont even think about it, commute will be painfully long.

All of Fairfax county public schools are highly rated, and very diverse - although blacks are not very well represented within this diversity, its mostly Asian, South Asian and Latino immigrants....if at all that matters.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,152 times
You would also have options in areas near the Franconia-Springfield Metro that would afford a better commute in my opinion. Depending on where you're working near Federal Triangle, commuting using the Yellow Line to Archives may be another good option. My office is slightly closer to Federal Traingle, but I use the Yellow Line from Franconia-Springfield to Archives because the commute is better that way. Pentagon express buses are another good commuting option for both the Springfield area and areas further south on 95 - you take an express bus to the Pentagon using the 95/395 HOT/HOV lanes and then transfer to the Blue or Yellow Line at the Pentagon. For me, Reston and Loudoun County are simply too long of a commute when you're working in DC, but many people do it and are fine with it.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:17 PM

313 posts, read 551,800 times
Vienna is where I'd start your search. It sounds as if you have a very healthy budget so I'd give Arlington a look as well. Both have highly rated schools and offer commute times much better than what you'll find in Reston. One poster here has a door to door commute of 75 minutes using the wiehle and fed triangle metro stops.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:32 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
For an area with diversity more like that of Hampton Roads, you might also consider parts of NW DC, such as American U Park. Although some of the DC schools are problematic, I understand that some in that area are good.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:54 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
While Reston is awesome for families and has relatively good diversity within its schools I'd tend to agree it's not an ideal location for commuting in and out of The District. I just drove daily from North Reston to Tysons Corner (about 7 miles) via Route 7 at rush-hour and wanted to punch someone in the face by the time I'd pull back into my parking spot at home in the evening due to the congestion. I don't think I'd want to Metro in from Reston to Federal Triangle daily. Don't underestimate just how much more congested NoVA is than Hampton Roads.

Rule out anything even further out than Reston---Herndon, Sterling, Ashburn, Leesburg, etc. unless you want to be crushed by your commute.

$2,500/month in rent/utilities for a detached single-family home or townhouse rental in a good close-in neighborhood with diverse schools proximate to a Metrorail station seems a little on the low side, especially since I was paying $1,300/month for a crappy 1-BR unit in Reston, but I'm sure it's doable, especially if you abide by airjay75's advice to look near Franconia/Springfield. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:39 AM

15 posts, read 17,404 times

Ashburn is a great place to check out! I live in Lansdowne and love it for the easy access down Route 7. They both are located in Loudon County School District (A top rated school district in the country)which we like because of the academics and their policy addressing kids with food allergies. Ashburn seems to have more open space so you don’t have the urban city feel. I'm pretty sure they are building that out too though. Reston is older but honestly I really like it a lotThe rent that you are looking to spend isdoable and can get you a great home/townhome in the Ashburn or Lansdowne/Leesburg area. Here is a video I found on line, check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJAm...ature=youtu.be You may also want to look into Lansdowne on the Potomac sub-division. Great schools, diverse community population,and reasonable priced. I live in the area and know of several homes available for rent or sale. Love the school.
Welcome to NoVA!
Hope this helps.
Tyler Hold

Last edited by Tyler Hold; 03-30-2015 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Error

Old 03-30-2015, 10:24 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,503 times
In Reston I would look at properties very close to the Metro Station. I live near South Lakes High School and work in Federal Triangle -- it took me 75 minutes to get from my front door to my desk this morning. That is about the usual time - I took the 551 Bus from home to the station. I can cut 5-10 minutes off the time by driving or biking to the station. Usual time on the train from Reston to Federal Triangle is 45 minutes.

Here are a few properties for you to consider that are within walking distance of the station.

2058 HEADLANDS CIR, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8581220 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11608 HUNTERS GREEN CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8570422 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2063 WETHERSFIELD CT, RESTON, VA | MLS FX8562906 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

This one has an error in the listing - it is NOT 5 miles to the metro - more like 1 - 1.5 miles.
http://www.mrishomes.com/rentals/254...0191-140241527

Last edited by JfromReston; 03-30-2015 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Fix Link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia