Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,301 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating in late spring from Philadelphia, PA to Alexandria, VA for work and am trying to find a place to live. I'm not familiar to the area at all and I'm trying to find a place that allows pets but isn't going to break the bank. I'd like to be within an hour of Alexandria and if anyone knows of surrounding towns and cities with moderately priced apartments and relatively low crime that would be great. I only need a one bedroom because it would just be myself and my fiance but we do have a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 12:47 PM

526 posts, read 901,381 times
We need to have some idea what you can afford to pay before we can offer advice. The less you can afford, the longer your commute will be (unsurprisingly).

Old 01-31-2015, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,301 times
I'm looking to not spend more then $1000/month

Old 01-31-2015, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 6,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmacch View Post
Then perhaps just commute from Philly...

Old 01-31-2015, 07:58 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmacch View Post
That's not going to be easy, not being familiar with Philly's rates I just checked CNN's cost of living calculator and Alexandria (and the whole area) is 79% more expensive than Philly. I checked craigslist and set for $1000 max your looking at efficiencies, basements and old crappy bldgs. All around 400-700sq ft. If you want to get cheaper keep going south, maybe Dumfries or Manassas (not the greatest places) of even as far as Fredricksburg. But remember, the commute into NoVA/DC is one of the worst in the country, you gotta take that time and either fuel/transit costs into the equation. Could be cheaper to pay more rent than to commute. I used to work up there is it was rough. I'm in Richmond which is much cheaper and it's rare to see a descent place around here for under $1000 anymore.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,475,075 times
Try Southern Towers apartments, I know I've mentioned them before but you can find a studio under even $995. Other pockets in Alexandria have cheap options. Good luck. I'm about to do the reverse - move back to Philly in just a couple months.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:49 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Also check apartments off of Beauregard St in Alexandria. I don't know about any specifically, but I just searched and found Brookdale at Mark Center has 1 BR starting at $1,080 and they say they are dog and cat friendly (depending on dog breed). There are apartment complexes all along Beauregard. If you can bump up your rent budget a bit, it would be much better to live closer to work than to live along Rt 1 in Fairfax County (also called Alexandria)* or Prince William County, which are other options for lower-than-typical rent.

*this depends on where in Alexandria you will be working, though. If you in fact will work in south Fairfax County called Alexandria (but not part of the city), then Huntington might be something to look at.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:55 AM

86 posts, read 108,155 times
We're moving to the area in about eight weeks. We're a family of four and will likely rent a townhouse for a little while before we buy. Generally how much do utilities cost per month in the area? Water, gas, electric, TV/phone/internet? Would $300 be a good estimate for all utilities total?

Old 02-01-2015, 08:03 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany2DC View Post
We're moving to the area in about eight weeks. We're a family of four and will likely rent a townhouse for a little while before we buy. Generally how much do utilities cost per month in the area? Water, gas, electric, TV/phone/internet? Would $300 be a good estimate for all utilities total?
That seems a little on the low side. I would say it's probably average for gas/electricity depending on the size of the house. For a townhouse, that amount would probably include water.

TV/phone/internet are going to in addition to that and will vary based on what type of plan you get.

I have a bundle through Verizon. This bundle also includes 2 DVRs, some premium channels, and higher speed internet and I pay about $200 per month (also includes my landline).

Old 02-01-2015, 09:14 AM

406 posts, read 619,988 times
For our TH with electric AC and gas heat, the average for the two combined is probably ~150 per month. Water is 100 quarterly.

Media price is up to you, you can easily get an intro fios or cox promo for about 100 all in.

So you estimate seems reasonable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia