Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 01:11 PM

11 posts, read 13,555 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of having a deck installed off of my kitchen and the contractor will take care of all of the work of cutting of the wall and installation of the door, but I will need to provide the door. I don't know anything about doors, but I know that I want to have a good quality door. My preference would be an out-swing french door, but I am open to a slider if the french door is too costly. I'm hoping to stay under $2k. The deck is costing more than I planned, so I'd love to stay under $1k but I know that is not likely. Does anybody have any recommendations as to places to go look at doors and/or brands they recommend? I went to Home Depot and I liked the Anderson door there but it shows as $2800 online and I'd really don't want to spend that much. A lot of the other stuff there didn't seem nice enough. If it was in the basement it would be fine, but this will be coming off of a newly remodeled kitchen, so I want it to look and feel sturdy and durable. Again, the specifics of the door aren't important. The main question is where to go and who to talk to? I don't want to get junk, but I don't want to get ripped off.

If I had to get a slider, this one at Lowe's seems to be good: Shop ThermaStar by Pella 10 Series 70.75-in Grilles Between the Glass Vinyl Sliding Patio Door at Lowes.com

My contractor said Anderson and Pella are both good brands, but usually pricey. That door isn't pricey and it's Pella. I'd much rather have a french door though. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:46 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,770 times
I actually need to replace the french door in my kitchen that leads to our screened in porch and deck and not looking forward to the price of the door along with installation $$. I would NOT recommend a slider. We are in/out of the door so much and having had a slider in our TH there is no way I would have the wear/tear on the slider and have to eventually replace. The one we had in the TH was builder grade and ended up replacing it. I can't tell you how many times I tripped over the stupid thing, not to mention my son who was a toddler when we moved there. Add to that, holding a glass of wine, a tray of steaks, etc.....

Old 03-18-2015, 02:08 PM

I believe I read that if you're going to go on the low end then a slider is actually better. A french door has a lot more moving parts and pieces that need to line up without any air leaks. To add to my problem, my doorway will probably only be able to be 5 feet wide instead of 6 feet, so I would much rather have a french door so they can both open. Sliders just do not look as nice either. Have you started looking yet? I've only looked online at Lowes and Home Depot and went into a Home Depot and it all just seems like builder grade stuff and not durable. I don't even know where to go to look at doors? Are there door stores? Haha.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,770 times
I haven't started to look, but was going to check out some window companies since a lot of them sell doors as well. Trying to stay as local as I can.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:33 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
Ask your builder what to get! Perhaps a single door, with sidelights would work in the space. Let him tell you what you need...and you can go from there!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:47 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,600,699 times
Jen-Weld

http://www.jeld-wen.com/catalog/exterior-doors

Old 03-19-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Thanks, I actually looked and found the brand on our downstairs patio door and it turned out to be a Jeld-Wen and it was installed by the previous owner. It's a nice quality door. After looking at Jeld-Wen they appear to be in my price range. I see that some have Low E 366 glass and others have Low E 272 glass. The Low E 366 glass is more expensive and I get that it blocks more UV rays, which is good. However, I read that there may be a slight green tint to that glass? Can anyone comment on the differences between these 2 types? The location of the door actually doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight so I'm not too worried about that, but I do care about energy efficiency and sound blocking ability. Any body have experience with either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia