Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 PM

76 posts, read 87,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post
Malls have declined since the invention of internet and amazon, brick and mortar are exspensive and are having a hard time competing with online pricing.
Yes and no. Low-end malls have suffered, higher end malls have surprisingly flourished in the last few years. (Read a few articles about it)

Tysons is obviously flourishing, Pentagon City has stayed in good shape, and I think the new Springfield is doing fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,463 times
With web shopping and discount stores, department stores are on the way out. Sad as I like personally looking at things I want to buy and enjoy getting out every now and then. I bet the Tyson's II Macy's will be next as they have the other one in Tyson's I. And the clientele at Tyson's II are not there for Macy's....too much $$$$. I miss the big stores that used to be in the District....Garfinkles and Woodwards. Beautiful building and old style shopping.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:25 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
"Final piece of the puzzle" according to developer.

Here's what the redeveloped Landmark Mall will look like | WTOP

Old 01-10-2017, 09:36 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
"Final piece of the puzzle" according to developer.

Here's what the redeveloped Landmark Mall will look like | WTOP
Well other than the Sears that they will definitely also acquire at some point in the near future. I love the vague language like "we will continue to evaluate the market" from the Sears rep. The developer is also tight lipped regarding Sears too. Sears as a company is on borrowed time...how much business is a Sears at a mall that will be closed for many months going to do? C'mon.

You can only build so much at once so I assume the Sears' land will be a 'Phase 2' thing.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
" (Anchor Store Closures like Sears and Macys).. often triggers "co-tenancy clauses" that allow the remaining mall tenants to exercise their right to terminate their leases or renegotiate the terms, typically with a period of lower rents, until another retailer moves into the vacant anchor space."

[url=http://www.businessinsider.com/stores-closing-macys-kohls-walmart-sears-2016-12]A giant wave of store closures is about to hit the US - Business Insider[/url]

also for fun [url=http://deadmalls.com/]DeadMalls.com[/url]

Old 01-10-2017, 11:25 AM

219 posts, read 595,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman84 View Post
With web shopping and discount stores, department stores are on the way out. Sad as I like personally looking at things I want to buy and enjoy getting out every now and then. I bet the Tyson's II Macy's will be next as they have the other one in Tyson's I. And the clientele at Tyson's II are not there for Macy's....too much $$$$. I miss the big stores that used to be in the District....Garfinkles and Woodwards. Beautiful building and old style shopping.
Yes, Macy's is selling it's property at Tyson's Galleria. I was hoping that a dept store, new to the area (Barney's New York or Bergdorf) would take it's place, but it looks like the owner of the mall will use that space for redevelopment.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...er-macy-s.html

Old 01-10-2017, 01:35 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
I really dont understand all these malls coverting to outdoor shopping centers. This is freaking DC where we have 10 degree days and get two foot blizzards. Can someone send the memo to the developers. This isn't California.

I think its just over saturation in the age of Amazon. Tysons, Pentagon City, and Fair Oaks will be fine but these low end ones are going to struggle. Even after the rennovation, Springfield Town Center's sales have been mediocre.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:41 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I really dont understand all these malls coverting to outdoor shopping centers. This is freaking DC where we have 10 degree days and get two foot blizzards. Can someone send the memo to the developers. This isn't California.

I think its just over saturation in the age of Amazon. Tysons, Pentagon City, and Fair Oaks will be fine but these low end ones are going to struggle. Even after the rennovation, Springfield Town Center's sales have been mediocre.
I think of STC as being Springfield Mall but just with new paint, restaurants and Dick's Sporting Goods. The EV charging stations are nice.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I think of STC as being Springfield Mall but just with new paint, restaurants and Dick's Sporting Goods. The EV charging stations are nice.
People balked at my theory that STC would be back in the same predicament from pre-renovation within 5 years. I thought and will always think STC is Springfield Mall with lipstick on.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:28 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Go walk through Mosaic District after 6pm any day of the week and see how busy it is...that's why developers want their land to turn into that. That area was an industrial wasteland ten years ago and now it is bringing in all kinds of money for the owners.

Springfield Mall is just a redesigned mall - there's no housing, no outdoor relaxing space, etc. Malls in general are dying, but I think the restaurants on the outside rim are doing just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia