Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 6,459 times

Advertisements

I moved from Maryland to Alexandria last year and have been using public transportation. This winter's been pretty rough so I wanted to borrow a family member's car that isn't used, even though I'll be moving in less than 6 months. What is required to make all the tax stuff square?

- I've been paying VA income taxes as a resident for a year
- Since I wasn't driving, I didn't switch over my MD license to VA
- Do I just need to register with Alexandria, get a sticker, and pay PPT with the city?
- Do I need to do anything with VA DMV?
- Convert my MD license to VA?
- Title transfer to me then to VA? Get family member to transfer to VA for plates?

Obviously, I'd prefer to do the minimum required since I will be moving out of state within 6 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 12:22 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,266,655 times
Lots of information on the VA DMV website

Old 02-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Could you point me towards it? I've scoured over it myself and have found various information that somewhat relates but doesn't quite fit. E.g. must get VA license and VA plates within 60 and 30 days. Exceptions are temporary non-residents, temporary residents less than 6 months, etc.

As far as I understand, I'm not a temporary non-resident nor a temporary resident. I've established my VA residency and domicile for a year including paying income taxes, but did not have a car. Was I supposed to? Do I actually fall under the case of temporary resident, at least from the perspective of the DMV?

If that's the case, then yes it'd seem that I'd just need to get an Alexandria and pay PPT on out-of-state plates for having a car stored in Alexandria for more than 30 days. The agent I spoke to in Alexandria did not seem familiar with these kinds of situations (or even how online registration worked) and wanted me to come in, which is a bit of work for me without a car.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,428,443 times
Up to you if you choose to do nothing and roll the dice. If you park outside they'll probably get you eventually for not having the county sticker, but plenty of people squeak by without getting caught too.

The DMV doesn't care about your future plans they care about now. Technically, as you are a resident, you need to register the car with Alexandria for the property tax and county decal within 30 days. If you need help beyond that I suggest you physically go to the DMV and they will help you out.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:46 PM

15,437 posts, read 25,840,555 times
Switch your drivers license over to Virginia. That's one thing.

The borrowed car is a different thing. It seems that you are confusing the two. If it is not title by you, registering at the DMV isn't going to be easy. It may not be necessary.

The third thing is registering it as garaged in Alexandria, which you need to do. That is where they figure the PPT. It should be done regardless of whether you transfer the car or not to Virginia.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:36 AM

1,110 posts, read 897,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandriacarq View Post
I moved from Maryland to Alexandria last year and have been using public transportation. This winter's been pretty rough so I wanted to borrow a family member's car that isn't used, even though I'll be moving in less than 6 months. What is required to make all the tax stuff square?

- I've been paying VA income taxes as a resident for a year
- Since I wasn't driving, I didn't switch over my MD license to VA
- Do I just need to register with Alexandria, get a sticker, and pay PPT with the city?
- Do I need to do anything with VA DMV?
- Convert my MD license to VA?
- Title transfer to me then to VA? Get family member to transfer to VA for plates?

Obviously, I'd prefer to do the minimum required since I will be moving out of state within 6 months
The city of Alexandria Personal Property Tax people have always been very helpful. You can call them at

https://www.alexandriava.gov/CarTax#contact

This URL has answers to some questions

https://www.alexandriava.gov/finance....aspx?id=13272

Old 02-07-2017, 10:46 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,266,655 times
You need to register the car in VA and that's where you're going to run into problems
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#vehiclereg.asp

Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 AM

So I talked to two people at Alexandria PPT and explained my situation, and all I need to do is get a decal and some paperwork from the owner. I asked them specifically about the VA DMV and what I had to get swapped over. Both said I do not have to do anything with the title/plates or VA DMV. I have no problems with paying for the city decal and PPT, just figured I had extra work to do with VA DMV but wasn't sure quite what.

I'm a bit surprised as I figured I had to get something switched over with the VA DMV, just as most of the people in this thread. I'm tempted to call again and ask if I can record the call in case I get a ticket from the VA police...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Switch your drivers license over to Virginia. That's one thing.

The borrowed car is a different thing. It seems that you are confusing the two. If it is not title by you, registering at the DMV isn't going to be easy. It may not be necessary.

The third thing is registering it as garaged in Alexandria, which you need to do. That is where they figure the PPT. It should be done regardless of whether you transfer the car or not to Virginia.
I was aware there are a bunch of steps normally taken, and was curious which of those applied to my situation. Looks like you're right on the VA plates, I don't need to transfer them. However, I was told I don't even need a VA license, though I think I'll call again and get that triple checked.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandriacarq View Post

I was aware there are a bunch of steps normally taken, and was curious which of those applied to my situation. Looks like you're right on the VA plates, I don't need to transfer them. However, I was told I don't even need a VA license, though I think I'll call again and get that triple checked.
If you live in Virginia, you do need to change your drivers license. Only the car does not need to change. It belongs to someone in MD.

BTW, it's easy to switch it to Virginia.

Last edited by dkf747; 02-09-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Within 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver's license
I don't know if it applies to you, but further down under Non-residents it says:
Quote:
If you are a non-resident temporarily living in Virginia, you may drive with your home state or country driver's license and license plates for no more than six months.

Last edited by Yac; 11-13-2022 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: