Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 12:33 PM

415 posts, read 371,208 times

Advertisements

I just want to say a huge thanks to all of you for being so helpful with questions I have asked since being new to the area. You have all given great feedback.

I wonder if someone could help me with this. I am trying to register my vehicle here and switch my drivers license here from a Texas license to a Virginia one.

I am not sure if anyone is familiar with registration in Texas but usually we have a vehicle registration which is the sticker on the front of the windscreen.

I looked on the site and it says you need to register your vehicle in Virginia within 60 days of moving here, but you have to show proof of car title etc. I don't have my car title as my car is in my dads name, and he is currently paying it off monthly and will not get the title until it is fully paid off (bank holds title until then).

I called the DMV and explained the situation and they said I would either have to have my name put on the title or my dad would have to come to the office with me when I register the vehicle (but he lives out of state), but when she asked if I was employed and I said not currently, she mentioned I don't need to register my vehicle here if I am not employed because if you aren't employed in Virginia you aren't considered a resident, yet when I asked what would happen when pulled over and what I would need to show paperwork wise she didn't know.

Does anyone here have personal experience with all of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Are you here for college? You don't need to do it while a student if you're living on campus.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
, she mentioned I don't need to register my vehicle here if I am not employed because if you aren't employed in Virginia you aren't considered a resident, .

This is entirely untrue. Employment has nothing to do with being a resident. The DMV lady was wrong.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:42 AM

415 posts, read 371,208 times
Yeah I just went off what she told me. I am not here for college. I moved here for better opportunities work wise but I am currently trying to find employment.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:55 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Then I would focus on that first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: