Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 15,158 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to Virginia in the next few months for my husband to take a job at the Pentagon.
We have two children who are going into 2nd grade and Kindergarten respectively. I've looked at the Arlington schools report cards and was very impressed with a few such as Arlington Traditional, Arlington Science Focus, McKinley, Jamestown... However, some people I've talked to here (IL) say that no one in their right mind sends kids to public schools anywhere in the DC area, period. Am I missing something?
I was also wondering:
-how Fairfax schools compare to Arlington schools in general. Is there a lot of variation among Fairfax schools?
-also, how are the middle schools and high schools in these areas?
-I understand VA's income tax rate is 9.5%, which is much higher than IL.We can probably afford a house in the mid $700K range. Any idea what the property taxes are like?
-what is the best music school/ conservatory in the area?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonnaise1948 View Post
However, some people I've talked to here (IL) say that no one in their right mind sends kids to public schools anywhere in the DC area, period. Am I missing something?
People say all kinds of things. This is an example of something that you should ignore. Rich does not equal "right mind".

Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
how Fairfax schools compare to Arlington schools in general. Is there a lot of variation among Fairfax schools?

We've lived in both counties, and had children in both school systems. Both are wonderful, and far better than the public (or even private) schools in many other areas. This is a highly educated community, and parents demand good schools. Don't listen to those who denigrate DC-area schools; perhaps they are thinking of the District of Columbia, or PG County in Maryland, both of which have troubled school systems.
The biggest difference between the systems is size. Arlington is much smaller, with three regular high schools (and one "alternative" secondary school). Fairfax has dozens of high schools. As is the case in most systems, the schools serving the more affluent areas tend to have higher test scores and be more highly sought-after by parents. In Arlington, the division is between "North" and "South" Arlington (north and south of route 50). Most of the better schools are in north Arlington, but there are some highly-regarded magnet and focus schools open to South Arlington residents. You can get details on the APS website. In Fairfax, the lesser-performing schools are located in areas such as Falls Church, Annandale, Bailey's Crossroads, Alexandria, and other communities with a concentration of relatively low-income immigrants. Again, you can easily figure this out by looking at the FCPS website.
Bottom line -- your kids are very young. You're not looking at high schools yet. I would not make a housing decision based on Fairfax v. Arlington schools.

also, how are the middle schools and high schools in these areas?

The same as the elementary schools. Some are better than others, but all are well above average.

I understand VA's income tax rate is 9.5%, which is much higher than IL.We can probably afford a house in the mid $700K range. Any idea what the property taxes are like?

No, the top rate in VA is 5.75%. Property taxes are lower in Arlington than Fairfax, but you can expect to pay approximately $7000 on a $700K house, give or take.
For the mid-700s, you can easily find a house in north Arlington in the Tuckahoe, Nottingham, McKinley, or Jamestown elementary district. Try zip codes 22213 or 22207. The house will be small, and probably at least 45 years old, and may need some updating. Easy commute to the Pentagon.
In Fairfax, you could look at Vienna, parts of McLean/Falls Church (you want homes in the McLean rather than Marshall school pyramid), Burke, Springfield, Reston. You'll get more house for your money, and a newer house, but a longer commute.
In your price range, you might also condider the City of Falls Church (not to be confused with the Falls Church area of Fairfax County) which has its own very small but highly regarded school system. Two Metro stops and a close-in location makes for a short commute to the Pentagon, but the houses will definitely be smaller and older.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 AM

78 posts, read 249,758 times
Thank you for such a detailed answer! I too was looking for just that type of info. We are moving up that way as well this summer. T will be at Rosslyn.
What are the real commute times from the places you listed? By metro, metrobus, carpool, any other options.
Where is the City of Falls Church vs Falls Church in Fairfax?
OT-Where in Illinois were you? We were at Scott until last year.

Last edited by CathyL100; 03-18-2008 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: add question

Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
You can get to Rosslyn from the "affordable" parts of McLean in under 30 minutes by car. There is no subway stop in McLean. It should be about the same from the City of Falls Church, and somewhat shorter from most of North Arlington. Interstate 66, which runs from Fairfax County through Arlington right to Rosslyn, is restricted to carpools (2 or more people) inside the Beltway during rush hour, so driving in from Vienna or Reston will require the use of "back roads." Metro's Orange Line begins at Vienna, and runs right along I-66, stopping in Rosslyn before going into DC. The ride from Vienna to Rosslyn takes about 25 minutes. (You can calculate the time between stations by consulting this handy website. Metro - Rosslyn Metrorail station (http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/Stations/station.cfm?station=41 - broken link))

The City of Falls Church is a 2 square mile "hole" in northern Fairfax County, not far from the Arlington County border. Portions of Fairfax County adjacent to the City also bear a Falls Church mailing address, but are not part of the City. With real estate listings, you can tell by the school pyramid. George Mason HS is in the City of Falls Church. Just to confuse you, Falls Church High School is in Fairfax County. Falls Church, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 AM

3 posts, read 15,158 times
Claremarie, thank you so much. This is very helpful.
I was also wondering where the Falls Church area is as opposed to the City of Falls Church.
CathyL, we are currently still living in Chicago. What do T and OT mean?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:05 AM

40 posts, read 64,913 times
FYI, I am selling my house in Fairfax, and it is walking distance from three EXCELLENT Fairfax County schools. Greenbriar West Elementary, Rocky Run Middle, and Chantilly High. Let me know if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: