Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 02:56 PM

424 posts, read 1,479,577 times

Advertisements

My wife spotted a snake in our front yard a few days ago, and while we were hoping it went away by now, my son spotted it again today. I haven’t seen it yet but, regardless, none of us possess the courage to deal with it directly. Tried calling Loudoun County Pest Control, and then, our pest control company but I was told that if the snake is not inside the house, they wouldn’t be able to help.

Who can I turn to help (as paid service)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Can you id the snake???

It's not a threat if not venomous, of course.

Do you have wildlife rescuers in your area? They might be willing to relocate a snake. Or perhaps your local science center or zoo might be able to recommend someone...

Old 05-20-2018, 03:25 PM

424 posts, read 1,479,577 times
Nope, my wife spotted it, ran inside and we can’t seem to be able to spot it from inside. Hopefully, it isn’t venomous but we certainly want to find a way to get rid of it from our yard so we can step outside without fear!

Old 05-20-2018, 04:41 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I didn't have a snake but I did have a nest of sparrows in my soffit - no siding co. etc. would deal w/it - I found this person: Master Trapper & Animal Control in Alexandria VA - Jacob Lehman - Jacob@TheMasterTrapper.com - 703-973-3929. Getting this from his card, this was several yrs. ago but assuming he's still in business??? Good luck.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 AM

529 posts, read 750,837 times
We usually have garden snakes here which are very good. They reduce rodent population. If you still spot snake in your yard, it means, it still have food source. Once it's done with pests around your house, it will go on its way to another yard.
This is exactly my neighbors in our community forum say when someone reports about snakes in their yard/under deck/garage etc.

But I can understand, it creates panic. I got terrified even for a baby snake. In some cases, baby snakes are more dangerous if they are venomous as they don't know how much venom they need to inject when they bite.

Next time when you spot it, take a good picture of it, especially its patter on the upper body and head. Share it with the local animal control to see if its a venomous or not.

Virginia Snakes

Old 05-22-2018, 09:15 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,052 times
If you can't take a full photo, can you at least give descriptors? (Size, color, habitat around your yard) That will help ID it. Fortunately, VA does not have many venomous snakes. I've found a baby black snake a couple of times in my yard in the last year. Never the momma/poppa, but a baby on two different occasions. I just try to leave them alone, since they do help keep down various pests.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:45 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
If you can't take a full photo, can you at least give descriptors? (Size, color, habitat around your yard) That will help ID it. Fortunately, VA does not have many venomous snakes. I've found a baby black snake a couple of times in my yard in the last year. Never the momma/poppa, but a baby on two different occasions. I just try to leave them alone, since they do help keep down various pests.

We have quite a few copperheads though, and this time of year and all of the rain last week, has them on the move. I had to kill one last weekend that slithered into our garage! We live near the Potomac, so we get quite a few interesting critters in our area. Just have to be mindful that they could be around. They (copperheads) tend to come out around dusk to start hunting for food. They freeze when spotted, and blend in pretty well. If bit, it usually means you didn't see it and got too close to it (they don't pursue, but rather defend). The babies are the worst to get bitten by, as they don't know how to regulate their venom, so when they bite, they go all-in. Adults tend to release just enough to get you to leave them alone.

Now, I understand the world is better when organic. Totally get it, and support it the best that I can. BUT, sometimes organic isn't strong enough or appropriate to counter the risk. We have little children, one non-verbal autistic. Last thing we need is for her to get bitten by one. So....

Last year I sprayed my entire yard with something called Talstar P. It is a very popular pesticide that professionals use. We had issues the year before with copperheads (killed three). Fixed some landscaping issues (replaced drystack retaining wall with proper brick wall), but decided we needed to address the tick problem and try to knock down the mosquito issue as well. I've used Talstar P before around the perimeter of our home to keep ants out. Worked like a charm for a full year. Read the label last year in better detail, and realized I could use it on the lawn, shrubs and trees as well in a more diluted state. So I did. And it worked. No ticks, 90% reduction in mosquitoes and overall healthier landscaping thanks to wiping out mites that were eating away at things.

But what it also did that I did not expect, is that it kept snakes out of our yard! I can't confirm that it was the Talstar P that did this, but several neighbors would see a snake here or there, and they'd be along our border of our yard, never coming into our yard. Not a lot of them, but a few. One neighbor said they watched one try to get away from them and went into our yard, and then froze and came back over into their yard instead.

So, might be worth considering here.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 PM

529 posts, read 750,837 times
Copperhead snake sighted near National Mall

Old 05-24-2018, 12:40 PM

870 posts, read 2,110,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We have quite a few copperheads though, and this time of year and all of the rain last week, has them on the move. I had to kill one last weekend that slithered into our garage! We live near the Potomac, so we get quite a few interesting critters in our area. Just have to be mindful that they could be around.

Now, I understand the world is better when organic. Totally get it, and support it the best that I can. BUT, sometimes organic isn't strong enough or appropriate to counter the risk. We have little children, one non-verbal autistic. Last thing we need is for her to get bitten by one. So....

But what it also did that I did not expect, is that it kept snakes out of our yard! I can't confirm that it was the Talstar P that did this, but several neighbors would see a snake here or there, and they'd be along our border of our yard, never coming into our yard. Not a lot of them, but a few. One neighbor said they watched one try to get away from them and went into our yard, and then froze and came back over into their yard instead.

I hadn't realized that copperheads were as common up here, and I certainly can't fault your reasons for keeping your family safe. If I had venomous snakes commonly seen in my neighborhood, I would act as you did to keep them out.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Talstar. What if any restrictions are there for exposure to people? Are there common side effects?

Old 05-24-2018, 01:17 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Can some folks from my church come over? We need snakes for our services.

OK, but seriously: I'm way more afraid of carcinogenic pesticides than I am snakes. Put some bells on your kids' shoes and the snake will scram at first jingle.

You're not going to be able to catch the snake. If it's nonvenomous it's no threat and, as noted above, is beneficial by eating mice. If it's venomous, the risk is too high you'll die trying to capture it.

Best way to keep it away is to reduce its food source, which means rodents. Probably mice. Put out some mouse traps and poison where pets can't reach.

But far easier is to just make more noise when out in the yard. Snakes will avoid you when they have a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: