Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 05:59 AM

230 posts, read 220,322 times

Advertisements

Amazon is likely but one of several factors contributing to the rise in home prices. Currently, a bigger factor is low inventory across the region, and that's something that predates the Amazon announcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 AM

24 posts, read 64,392 times
Don't worry. We're just waiting to buy the homes at half price when all these speculators inevitably foreclose and/or short sell.

Thanks in advance for the bargains!

Old 05-24-2019, 03:39 PM

512 posts, read 442,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
Amazon is likely but one of several factors contributing to the rise in home prices. Currently, a bigger factor is low inventory across the region, and that's something that predates the Amazon announcement.
I agree with you for the most part, but all the talk about Amazon, sets some people in a panic mode, feeling it's now or never. And many speculate that housing prices, especially in Arlington, will continue going through the roof, indefinitely.

This article states that it's all a result of Amazon, which I disagree.

Thanks to Amazon HQ2, Arlington County housing market ‘smoking hot’
https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...t-smoking-hot/

Old 05-26-2019, 08:42 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
It's an Amazon Boom:

"If you’ve guessed some of what is driving the Arlington housing market higher is the arrival of Amazon’s HQ2, you’d be right. And it’s not just investors looking to become a landlord or make a quick buck in a flip down the road. Amazon is impacting house hunters that just want to live in Arlington County.

“Each time I encounter this it kind of surprises me, but I would say close to 100% of the time I’m touring with a client, at some point in our conversation they bring up the fact of Amazon is kind of driving their decision to look now before things get even crazier,” Redfin agent Mara Gemond told WTOP.

“The Arlington market is smoking hot. I can’t remember the last time I had a client make an offer that didn’t face competition.”'

https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...t-smoking-hot/

Old 05-27-2019, 03:15 PM

26 posts, read 51,703 times
How far out into the "country" is this "boom" affecting housing markets /pricing? Farther than outside the beltway?

Old 05-28-2019, 07:55 AM

51 posts, read 55,309 times
I think a lot of this is hype by real estate agents. I am in the market right now, and I see homes being sold for less than what they were bought in 2008, and I also see homes be in the market for months.

5-6% is healthy, - but no bubble. The "amazon effect" is just a new banner real estate agents/brokers are using because it clicks with the average joe.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:49 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,211 times
My daughter who lives in Falls Church put her house for sale this week . On the first day she got 3 offers and the winning
offer was $25k over asking. Is this because of Amazon or a just the market right now, not sure probably a little of both.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Amazon’s second headquarters is far from being built, but its prospects already are causing housing prices to spike in Northern Virginia, according to new research from local real estate analysts.

Median home prices in Arlington County are projected to increase 17.2 percent by the end of 2019, according to data from the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors and George Mason University’s Center for Regional Analysis. Prior to the HQ2 announcement, the groups had only forecast an increase of 5.1 percent.

“This is a market response to the Amazon HQ2 announcement with investors competing with residents for a shrinking number of homes for sale," Dr. Terry Clower, CRA director, said at a local real estate conference this week. “The price gains we foresee do not reflect an overall bubble in housing prices but rather reflect the specific circumstances of our current market."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.0ad13052aea1

Old 06-13-2019, 03:51 PM

178 posts, read 282,147 times
This is going to cause alot of people from Northern Virginia to move to the Hampton Roads area.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:05 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey1151 View Post
This is going to cause alot of people from Northern Virginia to move to the Hampton Roads area.
Why? Other than military, the two areas don't have much overlap in career choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia