Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2022, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,970 times

Advertisements

Have you or anyone you know had to get road access to their property in Fairfax County? The road we need exist on the county maps but it has brush and trees, so it needs to be cleared so we can build a custom home. How can we have the road cleared? Do we petition the Board to open a paper street by clearing the brush and putting gravel down? Is there a process for this type of request? Any info would be extremely helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 02:06 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,421,416 times
Is it a private road or a county road ? Seems odd that the county would abandon maintenance on a county (public) road. If it proves to be a county/public road, I would start with the County Road Maintenance Supervisor.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:23 PM

35 posts, read 27,400 times
1. Retrieve the plat and covenants from the county web site for your lot and any adjacent lots. 2. Examine the covenants and easements for a driveway covenant or easement. 3. If no such covenant or easements exists, you will have to petition the county. Report back with your findings.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:02 PM

Default No Covenants or Easements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy1234 View Post
1. Retrieve the plat and covenants from the county web site for your lot and any adjacent lots. 2. Examine the covenants and easements for a driveway covenant or easement. 3. If no such covenant or easements exists, you will have to petition the county. Report back with your findings.
I checked the plat before purchasing the lot. There aren't any covenants or easements. There were three road options to my lot. The county vacated one in 2021. The second is a 15' alley. The third is the best option a 50' roadway which needs to be opened. Do you know where I can find the petition parameters? For instance, how many signatures I need? Can there be multiple signatures per lot? Are there specific forms or can I create my own?

Old 11-13-2022, 11:25 AM

sorry - your response raised more questions:

1. Are the "road options" you described purely on your lot? There's no petition if you are dealing with building a private road to connect to an existing secondary road. Such a road is called an "access road" and is as part of your rough grading plan.

My initial assumption was that you were talking about a chapter 2 road, which is maintained by VDOT and planned by Fairfax County Land Development Services.

1. The development of a county maintained secondary road involves a minimum of 3 unique users.
2. Each of those users will have to pay into an escrow for the development of the road.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you have two problems:

1. You need to build an access road on your property.
2. There is no existing secondary road to your property from a primary road. Is that true?

Or are you dealing with a situation that would ordinarily be satisfied with a traditional pipestem driveway?

Landlocked property?

Last edited by someguy1234; 11-13-2022 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-13-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
sorry - your response raised more questions:

1. Are the "road options" you described purely on your lot? There's no petition if you are dealing with building a private road to connect to an existing secondary road. Such a road is called an "access road" and is as part of your rough grading plan.

My initial assumption was that you were talking about a chapter 2 road, which is maintained by VDOT and planned by Fairfax County Land Development Services.

1. The development of a county maintained secondary road involves a minimum of 3 unique users.
2. Each of those users will have to pay into an escrow for the development of the road.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you have two problems:

1. You need to build an access road on your property.
2. There is no existing secondary road to your property from a primary road. Is that true?

Or are you dealing with a situation that would ordinarily be satisfied with a traditional pipestem driveway?

Landlocked property?
Nope. They are Chapter 2 Roads. Please describe the Petition process.

Old 11-14-2022, 03:57 AM

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/transp...ter2-roads.pdf

Old 11-14-2022, 05:03 AM

Default Do you know the process?

Quote:
That's the presentation not a process? Are you aware of the procedures to Petition the County? The process you referred to in your first reply.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:23 AM

The powerpoint IS the process. You have to contact LDS.

The term “petition” does not mean “fill out a form and write letters” it means you start by calling LDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: