Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:36 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times

Advertisements

What is the thing about ethanol? I usually buy Shell find one station will have it mixed in and the next won't. Is it by location, or just the luck of the draw?

Also, it would be nice if you could tell before pulling up to the pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 04:18 PM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
All stations will use 10% ethanol in their gas during the summer. (In northern VA at least) It's required by law...

Just some places advertise it, while others don't.

I personally would rather not get gas with ethanol in it... it raises the cost of the gas AND you don't get as good of gas mileage... but it DOES burn a little cleaner, which is why it's required to be used in the summer. (helps keep down the ozone level)

Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
All stations will use 10% ethanol in their gas during the summer. (In northern VA at least) It's required by law...

Just some places advertise it, while others don't.

I personally would rather not get gas with ethanol in it... it raises the cost of the gas AND you don't get as good of gas mileage... but it DOES burn a little cleaner, which is why it's required to be used in the summer. (helps keep down the ozone level)

I was watching a show on Discovery channel, they said it take 1 Gallon of fossil fuel to make 1.3 gallons of Ethanol.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I was watching a show on Discovery channel, they said it take 1 Gallon of fossil fuel to make 1.3 gallons of Ethanol.
And it takes about 1.3 gallons of ethanol to drive the same distance as 1 gallon of gas.

Science is fun.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:53 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Default Rather Not

I'd rather not have the ethanol also. I wonder how much of our ozone is actually produced in N. Va anyway??? I'm thinking midwest if it is anything like Maine. It was so ironic when Maine started the emissions testing and all that and virtually none of the ozone, acid rain, etc, was produced in Maine.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I'd rather not have the ethanol also. I wonder how much of our ozone is actually produced in N. Va anyway??? I'm thinking midwest if it is anything like Maine. It was so ironic when Maine started the emissions testing and all that and virtually none of the ozone, acid rain, etc, was produced in Maine.
People should ride more public transportation, but dont. Also there are people who are very short sighted and claim they never saw the gas prices increase.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Actually, one of the reasons why there are restrictions here in VA, is because places like NYC/NJ say that the pollution there comes from us.

It's funny with air pollution... always a blame-game. Heck, you could also argue that China is polluting more air pollution than the US, so why should we bother trying?
:P

And about public transportation... the metro and VRE are packed during rush hour... also, people are car pooling. I think that if public transportation were more available, then more people would use it.

It's funny though... from where I live, I can take a bus to Fredericksburg, hop on the VRE to DC, then take the metro anywhere. This is great, and I live like an hour and a half drive (with no traffic) away from DC. Yet I live 30 minutes from Richmond, and there is NO public transportation I can take. I could potentially pay about $20 each way to take the Amtrak train from Ashland to Richmond, but then once in Richmond, the bus system is SO limited, I could not really go anywhere besides the immediate downtown.

Anyways, enough venting about public transportation.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Actually, one of the reasons why there are restrictions here in VA, is because places like NYC/NJ say that the pollution there comes from us.

It's funny with air pollution... always a blame-game. Heck, you could also argue that China is polluting more air pollution than the US, so why should we bother trying?
:P

And about public transportation... the metro and VRE are packed during rush hour... also, people are car pooling. I think that if public transportation were more available, then more people would use it.

It's funny though... from where I live, I can take a bus to Fredericksburg, hop on the VRE to DC, then take the metro anywhere. This is great, and I live like an hour and a half drive (with no traffic) away from DC. Yet I live 30 minutes from Richmond, and there is NO public transportation I can take. I could potentially pay about $20 each way to take the Amtrak train from Ashland to Richmond, but then once in Richmond, the bus system is SO limited, I could not really go anywhere besides the immediate downtown.

Anyways, enough venting about public transportation.

you know about the FRED bus right?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
you know about the FRED bus right?
That's the one I was talking about, to take to Fredericksburg. I was just complaining that the public transportation to and around Richmond is horrible, which is completely off topic

It's funny that the Fredericksburg area has a better bus system than the Richmond area does.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
That's the one I was talking about, to take to Fredericksburg. I was just complaining that the public transportation to and around Richmond is horrible, which is completely off topic

It's funny that the Fredericksburg area has a better bus system than the Richmond area does.

Yea but the roads are huge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia