Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:42 AM

30 posts, read 108,595 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any feedback on areas an hour or so south of DC? I'm retiring and would like to live closer to my children who live in DC suburbs ( i currently live in Pittsburgh). I don't want to deal with high prices and huge traffic issues and would be happy to be an hour or so away from them. I read some positive things about Fredericksburg and thought that may be an option. I don't really want a 55+ community, but I would like to be around people and have a way of meeting people. I am single and that connection is important. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmel View Post
Anyone have any feedback on areas an hour or so south of DC? I'm retiring and would like to live closer to my children who live in DC suburbs ( i currently live in Pittsburgh). I don't want to deal with high prices and huge traffic issues and would be happy to be an hour or so away from them. I read some positive things about Fredericksburg and thought that may be an option. I don't really want a 55+ community, but I would like to be around people and have a way of meeting people. I am single and that connection is important. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for feedback.
What's your budget?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:28 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Also where in the DC suburbs the kids are might be useful also. But all else being equal, Fredericksburg might end up as a very good choice. You'd be depending on I-95 to get up into the main DC area, and traffic can be bad at any time, but it would seem to fit the bill rather well if you want people around without having the bigness of Metro DC. You'd be less than an hour from Richmond as well...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
Nothing personal, but retiring in NoVa is purely idiotic.
Not everybody is you. People have different tastes and interests. Like being near the kids. And the DC area actually has a great deal to offer in terms of history, culture, climate...things people tend to put more than just dollar values on...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:49 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
The DC suburbs are rather sprawling. Which suburbs do your kids live in?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I'm originally from Pittsburgh also

Depends on where you live now and what you are looking for: neighbors, home styles, shops, etc.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:37 PM

194 posts, read 590,027 times
I would suggest Stafford for the cheap properties it offers, but expect to be in "Hicksville USA" unless you live right off the highway. Unless you like that kind of environment.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:11 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,274 times
Fredericksburg is a great location to retire. It's very laid back and has a great location.

Per capita, it has the most shopping anywhere. The largest indoor water park in America will open in a year or two.

1 hour to DC, 1.5 hours to Baltimore, about 3 hours to Philly, 4.5 hours to NYC.

For relaxation - 2 hours to VA Beach, a little over 3 hours to NC's outer banks - some of the best beaches on the east coast. 6 hours to Myrtle Beach. The Florida border is only about 9 hours away! These are estimates for driving in perfect conditions of course. If you don't have to drive to DC every day, then Fredericksburg is an awesome place!!

For history - too many places to see within an hour or two. Williamsburg is real close too - slightly over an hour.

I could go on an on...Kings Dominion only 20 miutes away - Busche Gardens is in Williamsburg. One of the biggest and largest water parks is also in Williamsburg - Busche Garden's Water Country USA! Don't forget about Colonial Williamsburg. Ooh, another indoor waterpark - GreatWolf Lodge!!

The Mountains - also nearby!!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
If your kids live in Fairfax County (for example) it will be a hellish trip to get to Fredericksburg on a Saturday morning or for you to get to their homes for that matter. Since you dont have to worry about schools maybe you can get a good deal in a community where the schools do not matter to you- therefore cheaper.

2 hours from VA Beach?!! - ARE YOU KIDDING? You mean 4-5 hours of horrible traffice unless you get up at 4 AM to go to the beach. Not a day trip by any means.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:30 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,274 times
Fairfax Mom, you can make VA Beach in 2 hours from Fredericksburg most of the time. Just remember that by the time you get to Fredericksburg, you've passed most of the bad traffic. After Fredericksburg, it's usually smooth sailing.

Now considering where you're located, in Fairfax, by your profile name, then it may take a little longer. But not 5 hours!?!

Fairfax Mom, 4 am is a good time to head out on a major holiday, but most of the time 6am or 7am will do the trick. Give it a try and you will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia