Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 AM

222 posts, read 810,814 times

Advertisements

Sorry to bother all of you with this question once again, but I have searched this forum and haven't found answers to quite the questions I have, so I am going to ask: where should I live?

Looks like I will be offered a job with the Federal Gov, working in DC with the closest metro stop to my new office being L'Enfant Plaze. My spouse and I are in our late 40s, no kids at home, so schools are not important. Not sure how long we will stay, so likely will be renting for a while. (She does not have a job yet and will likely follow in a few months.)

Need 3 bedrooms, central AC, at at least a small, fenced yard for our dog (under 8 lbs.) and don't really want a long commute via the Metro. Looks like the most direct shot is on the Yellow or Blue lines.

From a distance the Alexandria area looks good and the real estate agent I am working with has been pushing the Kingstowne area where a number of nearly new townhouses matching the description above are available in the $2000/month range. We can pay that much (maybe a little more) but, of course, would like to pay less. (Newer would be good because the spouse has allergies and asthma.)

Searching online on Craiglist and other sites, these types of THs seem to be the most common type of dwelling available in this price range. (Can't do a condo or apartment 'cause of the dog. Sometimes I just want to open the back door and let him out on his own for a few minutes.)

We like to go to the movies, go to book stores and libraries, eat out on the weekends and would love to be close to a Whole Foods or some store similar to that. (We have nothing even close to that where we live now.) She would like a very safe area AND quiet, too, but I think that's asking alot in NOVA. A walkable neighborhood would also be nice, but sounds like that might be hard to find, so I would settle for being close to a park to ride bikes and/or walk around.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 AM

269 posts, read 1,001,966 times
Silence.

I hope no one replies, afterall, I can't believe you can't narrow down your choices to 2 or 3 based on the vast wealth of data in these forums (and while working with a realtor no less!).

Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM

798 posts, read 2,727,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
Sorry to bother all of you with this question once again, but I have searched this forum and haven't found answers to quite the questions I have, so I am going to ask: where should I live?

Looks like I will be offered a job with the Federal Gov, working in DC with the closest metro stop to my new office being L'Enfant Plaze. My spouse and I are in our late 40s, no kids at home, so schools are not important. Not sure how long we will stay, so likely will be renting for a while. (She does not have a job yet and will likely follow in a few months.)

Need 3 bedrooms, central AC, at at least a small, fenced yard for our dog (under 8 lbs.) and don't really want a long commute via the Metro. Looks like the most direct shot is on the Yellow or Blue lines.

From a distance the Alexandria area looks good and the real estate agent I am working with has been pushing the Kingstowne area where a number of nearly new townhouses matching the description above are available in the $2000/month range. We can pay that much (maybe a little more) but, of course, would like to pay less. (Newer would be good because the spouse has allergies and asthma.)

Searching online on Craiglist and other sites, these types of THs seem to be the most common type of dwelling available in this price range. (Can't do a condo or apartment 'cause of the dog. Sometimes I just want to open the back door and let him out on his own for a few minutes.)

We like to go to the movies, go to book stores and libraries, eat out on the weekends and would love to be close to a Whole Foods or some store similar to that. (We have nothing even close to that where we live now.) She would like a very safe area AND quiet, too, but I think that's asking alot in NOVA. A walkable neighborhood would also be nice, but sounds like that might be hard to find, so I would settle for being close to a park to ride bikes and/or walk around.

Suggestions?

I live near Kingstowne in zip 22315 and think your agent is giving you some good advice. If the price was right, we would actually have liked to move in to Arlington but when we were looking, the prices were higher then they are now. Thei area is relatively quiet, has plently of places to dine out, there is a library about 1 1/2 miles from us and the blue line metro very close by. Too bad you are not looking to buy because there is a TH in our neighborhood for an excellent price and we stopped in during a recent open house and I loved the place! Not knowing how long you will be here though, renting is probably a good choice.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Michigan bob... I highly suggest you rent for about a year, do your research and find something. Please do not come down here and purchase a home right away. It's not Michigan down here

Old 02-25-2009, 12:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
I think Kingstowne works very well for what you described:

-somewhat short commute: walk or bus or drive a mile or two to Springfield Metro, get on Blue line, transfer to Yellow.

-a decent amount of the townhomes are less than 20 years old and have small yards

-depending on where you live you may be able to walk to shopping, and if not, then movies and shopping are a very short drive away. There's no Whole Foods in Kingstowne but there are both Whole Foods and Trader Joes a short drive away in Springfield.

-Kingstowne is safe and most of it is fairly quiet.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Default Sorry If I Wasn't Clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Michigan bob... I highly suggest you rent for about a year, do your research and find something. Please do not come down here and purchase a home right away. It's not Michigan down here
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post . . . I have NO plans on buying anytime soon. Will rent for at least a year or two.

And, yes, I understand it is not Michigan. BTW, anyone want to buy a house in Detroit for $1?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:27 PM

280 posts, read 1,041,516 times
You might also want to cross post on the DC forum, as there are neighborhoods there that would give you a lot of your requirements (walkable, close to metro/work, small yards) especially given that schools aren't a priority. The criterion that would be harder is the newer home--many of those are even historic. Just a thought.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 PM

Default Thanks Anyone Else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I think Kingstowne works very well for what you described:

-somewhat short commute: walk or bus or drive a mile or two to Springfield Metro, get on Blue line, transfer to Yellow.

-a decent amount of the townhomes are less than 20 years old and have small yards

-depending on where you live you may be able to walk to shopping, and if not, then movies and shopping are a very short drive away. There's no Whole Foods in Kingstowne but there are both Whole Foods and Trader Joes a short drive away in Springfield.

-Kingstowne is safe and most of it is fairly quiet.
Pcity:

Thanks for the input. I have read a lot of good things on this board about Kingstowne.

Anyone else have any negatives about KT . . . even minor ones?

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:55 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Depending where you live, you might be near or see daily the ugly high tension power lines in Kingstowne.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Kingstowne is perfect for what you're looking for.
Kingstowne Residential Owners Corporation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia