Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM

8 posts, read 16,994 times

Advertisements

Good evening!

Long story short, we are looking at settling in Fairfax County, which would involve me commuting to ft Meade for a few years. We love fairfax county and really don't care for Maryland or D.C. (Lived in both before).

Ive done the commute before (from south county) a couple years ago by driving. It was pretty bad, but I wanted to see if there were any outside the box recommendations that I might be overlooking (best places to live within the county to make this commute, public transit or rideshare, etc).

We are expecting a child soon so schools are a factor for us in terms of location.

Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:47 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveabellybutton15 View Post
Good evening!

Long story short, we are looking at settling in Fairfax County, which would involve me commuting to ft Meade for a few years. We love fairfax county and really don't care for Maryland or D.C. (Lived in both before).

Ive done the commute before (from south county) a couple years ago by driving. It was pretty bad, but I wanted to see if there were any outside the box recommendations that I might be overlooking (best places to live within the county to make this commute, public transit or rideshare, etc).

We are expecting a child soon so schools are a factor for us in terms of location.

Thanks a million.
UGH! I just had to look up Ft. Meade on a map. There is not going to be any "good" Fairfax County locations. If you are set living there, I would say as close to a highway as possible to eliminate extra time on back roads.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:49 PM

Lol thanks. Good advice for sure!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
What is it that you like about Fairfax county?

There might be some areas in Maryland that meet your needs as some areas have really improved (Bethesda area)

Realize this is a NOVA forum and I'll deny ever writing the above comment.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I used to commute by car from Alexandria to Greenbelt. It was not great but (if I remember correctly) wasn't as bad as when I used to commute from Arlington to Rockville. If you lived in eastern Ffx Co, like the Fort Hunt area, you could cross the Wilson Bridge and take 295 to the BW Parkway. From what I've read, people don't rate the schools there as highly as those in other parts of Ffx Co, however.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:03 PM

Good question. Kind of just has a better feel when compared to Maryland, plus the great amenities like the parks and rec centers. And like I said, schools. But above everything, the kind of house we want to buy (large, with a fair amount of land and minimal renovation) seems more prevalent in fairfax than elsewhere. Ideally we would buy in Mason neck and I'm not sure that sort of place exists in MD (well maybe across the river in fort Washington).

Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I used to commute by car from Alexandria to Greenbelt. It was not great but (if I remember correctly) wasn't as bad as when I used to commute from Arlington to Rockville. If you lived in eastern Ffx Co, like the Fort Hunt area, you could cross the Wilson Bridge and take 295 to the BW Parkway. From what I've read, people don't rate the schools there as highly as those in other parts of Ffx Co, however.
Thanks!!

Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveabellybutton15 View Post
the kind of house we want to buy (large, with a fair amount of land and minimal renovation) seems more prevalent in fairfax than elsewhere.
ok, so you have a huge housing budget...I'm sure you can find something you like closer to work.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:22 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Schools won't be an issue for several years. Of course, if you're looking to move once and that be where you will stay when the kid(s)get to school age, then it's important now. You could rent for a year and look for the right place during that year if you wanted.

There is no place in Fairfax County that is good for a commute to Ft. Meade. You're painting MD with a big broad brush. Different areas are different. MD has plenty of good places to live. Have you looked at Howard or Anne Arundel County schools? I really think you should take another look at MD. The only way Fairfax County makes sense is if working at Fort Meade is temporary.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:26 PM

Good points, thanks. I guess I should mention the other factor being my wife's job; she's at the Mark Center, so that seems to put us in a position where one of us is likely to have a bad commute, and since we prefer fairfax county that may fall to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: