Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times

Advertisements

My husband has asked me to look into Lorton as another possible option for buying a home (right now we have focused on Burke). I did a search in the forum and only found one thread on Lorton. We are looking for a community that is family-oriented, safe, good schools, and with commuting options to DC. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Lorton is a unique circumstance. It was for decades a place that was shunned by all who could afford to do so, since the area was dominated by a) a Nike missile site, and b) the major prison for DC from which escapes were almost literally an everyday occurrence. The missiles were removed as far back as 1973, but the sprawling prison complex remained in operation until 2001. Since the demise of the prison, people have started to notice that hey, the place is right next to Mt. Vernon, the historic village of Occoquan, Pohick Bay, and the Mason Neck Wildlife Refuge, an absolute treasure that houses, among other things, a thriving population of bald eagles. Suddenly people like Lorton, and quite a bit of development has gone on there, with more to come. The one remaining potential drawback is a new and much-needed wastewater treatment plant that was built on part of the old prison property. One hears that an odd smell or two can come wafting out of there in the summertime. The other problem will be commuting to DC. Driving would mean I-95 which can be absolutely brutal. You could also take the VRE trains into town. There are a half dozen runs in the morning rush and a like number in the evening. It's about a 40-minute ride if you go all the way to Union Station. There is also a stop at L'Enfant Plaza. You can connect to Metro at either one. Lorton's schools are a part of the Fairfax County system, rated by everyone as excellent. The high school is brand new (South County), having opened in 2005. With one in four residents under the age of 18 and a median age of 33, it's pretty clear that Lorton is family-oriented. That's what's there...families. The town is quite diverse as well, with significant Black, Hispanic and Asian communities.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 AM

22 posts, read 127,953 times
Lorton has definately improved over the years! Since the prison is gone, more and more people are considering it an option. A good one at that. It's expensive, but not really any more so than Burke. Route 123, the major route that used to go right through the residential part of Lorton, now has been diverted around and they are adding 3 more lanes on the bridge crossing over into Occoquan. There are a lot of new home developments, as well as townhome developments all along there, with more to come.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:20 PM

8 posts, read 29,145 times
Default Lorton

Smells like **** too with the sewer plant there. If the wind blows in your direction look out. Been there done that.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 36,119 times
Default Dear "Saganista"

One member, "saganista," mentioned that the commute from Lorton to DC can be "brutal." Can you elaborate on that? I am thinking about moving to Lorton, and my Husband will have to commute to the Arlington Cemetary...do you know about how long it would take him to get to work? We can afford a place in either Lorton, or Chantilly. We would prefer Lorton. Any input??

Old 04-14-2007, 10:28 AM

238 posts, read 227,774 times
Yuck. A commute from Lorton to Arlinton Cemetery would be at least 1 hour each way. Gridlocked traffic (EVERYONE and their mother AND Grandmother) heading north on 395 every morning from 7 am to 10 am.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:56 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
We lived in Lorton for 4 years (moved 3 months ago). My community was on the Fairfax Connector route (Newington Forest bus) that ran to the Springfield Metro and the Pentagon. You also have the option of the VRE and the springfield metro is a fairly short drive.

In the past 6 months, Lorton has finally gotten some restraunts and a new grocery store. Its definitely improved over the past few years.

We lived west of 95, and we never once got any smells from the plant, and I can't say I ever noticed it when I was visiting friends on the east side of 95 (3 different neighborhoods, all east of 95 and west of rt 1).

Commuting to DC, if I wasn't taking public transport, I'd stop by the rolling road park and ride and pick up some slugs to take advantage of HOV. Ft Myer would probably have the same advice. I commuted to Bethesda (worked 7:30-5), and it took about an hour in the AM and 1:15 in the PM. If I could be out of the house by 6:15am, it was only about 45 mins. My husband commuted to Old Town Alexandria, and it was about 20-25 minutes.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-14-2007, 05:09 PM

7 posts, read 36,119 times
Thank you! The only problem is...My husband has to be on Fort Myer by 5:30 AM, so I think public transportation is out. So, do you know how long it would take him to get home between 3 and 5 PM? (To Lorton that is, from Fort Myer). We're not really worried about the morning commute. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2007, 07:02 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke_utley View Post
Thank you! The only problem is...My husband has to be on Fort Myer by 5:30 AM, so I think public transportation is out. So, do you know how long it would take him to get home between 3 and 5 PM? (To Lorton that is, from Fort Myer). We're not really worried about the morning commute. Thanks!
It's less than 20 miles. Only about the first 2 miles of that will be to get on 395/95 South, which with no traffic is 65 mph territory the rest of the way. By working the odd hours, things will be much improved over a standard commute, but the majority who shift their hours to stay out of the traffic do so by going in early. As the result, even at 3:00, the mess will be starting to build. I've never done it and hope for that streak to continue, but I'd still guess that you could keep it under 45 minutes at that hour. It certainly won't be the nightmare that leaving at 5:00 would be...

Old 03-19-2008, 01:41 AM

17 posts, read 65,339 times
Default New Home Developments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Boyle View Post
Lorton has definately improved over the years! Since the prison is gone, more and more people are considering it an option. A good one at that. It's expensive, but not really any more so than Burke. Route 123, the major route that used to go right through the residential part of Lorton, now has been diverted around and they are adding 3 more lanes on the bridge crossing over into Occoquan. There are a lot of new home developments, as well as townhome developments all along there, with more to come.

Hi Michelle, You mentioned new home developments. I have only seen them in Woodbridge when I do a search. These are in Lorton or Occoquan? Is Occoquan in Fairfax County. I ask because we are moving in May from Hawaii and my husband is working on Fort Belvoir. We are trying to find the best loaction and I prefer a new home.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia