Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 14,181 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just signed a lease in Springfield at Ramblewood at Daventry. I'm a single male just out of college. I was just wondering what the area is like. How easy is it to get to Alexandria/DC? Google maps says Old Town is 25 minutes away, thats kinda far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
You can take the Franconia-Springfield Metro into DC. It's about a ten-minute drive to the Metro and about a half-hour ride on the Metro, plus the time spent walking to and waiting for the train. And really 25 minutes isn't that long for getting to Old Town, you'll get used to that kind of distance. You might also check into the shopping center at Kingstowne. It has a farmer's market on Friday afternoons and evenings, a movie theater, and as assortment of moderately-priced restaurants. Drive east on Old Keene Mill Road (which becomes Franconia Road) for several miles, turn right onto South Van Dorn, and it will be a short distance down on the right. Probably about a 15-minute drive.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:08 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Springfield is typical suburbia- cul-de-sacs and lots of kids. You'll want to go to Arlington and DC to go out. Clarendon and Old Town Alexandria are about 20-25 minutes away.

For DC, you should probably Metro, and how long it takes to get there depends on where in DC you're going.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:38 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,988 times
Welcome to my old hood. Daventry is well above average for FFXCO. Not a billion kids, but there will be some. Watch out for the cops on Hunter Village Dr, or just don't speed. You're walking distance to a slug line and one of the largest Catholic Parishes in the area. You can be in Georgetown in less than 30 minutes on a Friday Night. Some venues in Springfield, like at Rolling @ Keene Mill or Springfield Plaza area and The Mall is still alive.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 PM

628 posts, read 1,934,000 times
Old Town is not very far in distance. Some of that time is consumed by traffic lights and stop signs at both ends, but most of the trip is on the Beltway. While not a hopping singles mecca, Springfield is ideally located to get to everything you could want in a relatively short time. In addition to Old town and DC/Georgetown, check out Shirlington on 395 on the way to DC for a multitude of bars and restaurants catering to singles and yuppies. The Ballston section of Arlington has transformed into an evening social scene. For laid-back, noisy dining near you I suggest Hard Times Cafe (great chili) in Springfield Plaza just a mile east of you on Old Keene Mill Rd. and Glory Days (sports bar/restaurant) in Burke about 4 miles in the opposite direction on OKM. For the best burgers in the world, the original Five Guys is on Backlick Rd a short right off OKM just before the I-395 on-ramp. The best Mexican food in the greater Springfield area is Los Tolteca on Rt 123/Ox Rd near the intersection with Burke Center Pkwy in Fairfax Station about 9 mi from you. For the cheapest gas cross over the Occoquan River into Prince William Co on the way to Potomac Mills in Woodbridge. If you like to bike, a section of the Cross County Trail goes through Daventry and provides eventual access to the W&OD Trail on which you can bike to Vienna, Herndon, Leesburg, or its terminal at Purcellville near the Blue Ridge foothills. Where'd you go to school, where are you from, and where will you be working? Welcome!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 PM

6 posts, read 14,181 times
Wow, thanks for the great info!! I graduated from Carnegie Mellon University (in Pittsburgh), I studied mechanical engineering and that led me to a civilian research position with the military at Fort Belvoir. My family has lived in Jersey for a while, and I'll be there till I move to Va. I really liked Pittsburgh's suburban/urban blend opposed to Jersey's sprawling suburbia. Seems like Springfield will be nice.

@horseplayer: Thanks for the info, I am not Catholic but I am interested in finding a church in the area (doesn't have to be really close). I'm from a non-denominational background.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:49 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
For the best burgers in the world, the original Five Guys is on Backlick Rd a short right off OKM just before the I-395 on-ramp.
Actually the original Five Guys was on Columbia Pike in Arlington. It doesn't exist anymore.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:18 PM

628 posts, read 1,934,000 times
Thanks for the correction pcity.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:09 PM

652 posts, read 1,304,875 times
Hey, honest Abe. We go to a great non-denominational church, Burke Community. Just follow Old Keene Mill all the way to the end where it intersects with Fairfax Co Parkway. It's right on that corner.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
We go to a great non-denominational church, Burke Community. Just follow Old Keene Mill all the way to the end where it intersects with Fairfax Co Parkway. It's right on that corner.
I was just going to recommend that you check out this church. We have several friends in DC who travel to Burke Community Church every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia